Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can you overfeed a kitten?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bellini, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

Only Millie had TWO POUCHES yesterday and gave me that "look" of wanting more?

The box says kittens up to 3kg should have 1-2 pouches a day. I think Millie may be around 1.5kg to 2kg in weight.

She's 4 months old tomorrow and up to date with wormning and fleaing.

2. sarahcunny

sarahcunny PetForums Newbie

hello, i have 2 new kits that are now 4 months old too and they're now having 2 and half pouches each a day plus some kitty treats if they're clear their bowls really quickly and they seem fine and contented with that amount of food and no diarrhea which can be a sign of over feeding.

3. CATastrophe

CATastrophe PetForums Junior

I doubt it! My almost 5 month old Asian kitten is the greediest little thing in the world. I feed my kittens small amounts and often, because they both just love gobbling their food quickly tear-@rse around for half an hour then expect feeding again!

Our Asian boy eats a full 370g Bozita carton to himself and at least a bowl full of Applaws dry food throughout the day... well greedy! :)

4. Crocky

Crocky PetForums Junior

Normally, cats stop eating when they're 'full'... So I don't think it would do any harm to feed them more than 'the usual'.

#4 Crocky, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  5. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I don't think it is possible but then there are a lot of overweight cats in the UK. Personally, I think removing food/bowls after a short time can encourage binge eating.

6. CATastrophe

CATastrophe PetForums Junior

I don't really think that most overweight cats are due to eating too much, I'm sure it's due to their type of diet and whether they're very active.

I guess some cat food manufacturers have more carbs in their food, which I'm absolutely sure adds to cats becoming overweight or developing diabetes. As with all active bodies, proteins are best, cats need proteins not carbs.

I really don't think you can overfeed a kitten or cat with a high protein content food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice