Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Can you help me identify this bird of prey?

Discussion in 'Bird Photo Galleries' started by debijw, Nov 14, 2018.

1. debijw

debijw PetForums VIP

Hi, this is my first venture into bird chat. I wondered if any one could, as my thread title asked, identify this bird of prey.
    . 2018_1107_13530200~2.jpg
    Its not a brilliant photo as it was taken through the window. I had seen it flying around the cottage we recently stayed in on Anglesey, (we took the dogs away over the bonfire night weekend to escape the fireworks, it was bliss.) this particlar afternoon it came and sat atop the telegraph pole on the lane at the back of the cottage screeching it's head off. It's so beautiful, has brown feathers and a white chest. It's glorious when you can see its colour and its tall. I have googled and I think it might be a Hen Harrier but I really would like to know for certain.

kimthecat likes this.
  2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It could be a Sparrowhawk.

debijw and kimthecat like this.
  3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

More likely to be a juvenile buzzard as they are far lighter then the adult form and usually have white chests and underwings.
    Did you see it flying at all? Buzzards as you probably know tend to soar on outstretched wings whereas hen harriers don’t very much tending to glide to somewhere rather then soar at height. Hen harriers have very noticeable black wingtips in flight.
    Adult buzzards can be white some more then others. We used to have a white buzzard seen in the valley that was predominately white part from its back and wings, under wings were white too.

debijw and kimthecat like this.
  4. debijw

debijw PetForums VIP

Thank you for your reply Rafa. Definitely not a sparrowhawk, this is a photo of a Sparrowhawk I took in my garden a couple of years ago,
    Screenshot_2018-11-14-16-07-50.jpeg
    The new bird was about 3 times bigger.

5. debijw

debijw PetForums VIP

Thank you for your reply Siskin. I saw it a few times, flying very low, sitting on fences and on top of telegraph poles, at one point we were about 10ft away from it sat on the fence, we were in the car and I didnt have my camera with me or it would have been a brilliant opportunity to see it in its glorious colour. I must admit I didnt really notice the wingtips as I was so in awe at the size if it.

6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I should imagine it is a buzzard given your awe over the size. Hen harriers are rare and smaller then a buzzard. The sparrowhawk in your picture is a male, the females are much larger as in many of the birds of prey.

debijw likes this.
  7. debijw

debijw PetForums VIP

Just googled juvenile buzzard and a couple of images look very much like my photo. Thank you.

Siskin likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice