Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can you have specific requirements and still get a rescue cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lumboo, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I am still waiting to get two rescue kittens and am hoping to go to Battersea next week, as well as visiting the local CPL again. The thing is that due to another thread on this site that I have been following this week I am now really hesitant about getting a cat from a rescue shelter.

I really want a ginger and tabby kitten as this is what my DH and I grew up with. I am now afraid that I will get attitude from the staff for having such requests and am not sure I can deal with it.

The lady from the RSPCA didn't think it odd at all and just noted my requirements when she came for the home visit, but after some of the postings in the other thread I am wondering whether not everyone will be this way.

I am starting to feel like a real b*tch because I am fussy but this doesn't mean I can't provide a loving home to a cat. I had our cat for 16 years and up till now I resisted getting another cat because I was grieving, we were not settled, and then because our son was too young.

On another note, during the home visit the lady from the RSPCA said everything was fine and then text to say she would call when they had the right kitten for me, but I was never officially told we 'passed' the home visit, as other people seem to have had. Should I take her text as a 'yes' or should I call to ask?

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Stick to your guns when you go to view any kittens at the centres, chances are one will 'choose' you and you may....or may not! ....end up with the colour you first wanted.
    I don't think it is 'shallow' at all to have a colour preference, after all you are going to have that cat for the next 16-20 years so get the one that you fall in love with.;)

3. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Nothing wrong with having an idea of what you want. However, I think you may find you will fall in love with someone there that may not be a ginger after all. Keep an open mind. I also had a very fixed idea on what I wanted when I went to the rescue but fell in love with a completely different kitty, not at all what I said I wanted. And I have not regretted it a single moment.:)

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

LOL, me too! I went with the intention of coming home with a ginger boy ..... instead ended up with Winnie, a tabby girl! :D

Sometimes it is best to just go & have a look. Also rescues can be very busy & promised phone calls can be forgotten about (not intentionally) so I would keep looking & ringing round tpo see who they have in the shelter - good luck!

5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

last part first - I'd take the text to mean yes, you've passed :)
    I don't see what's wrong with wanting a certain colour or type of kitten. You could just as easily have said, I want a long-haired one or a short-haired one. My son and his OH wanted a black cat and got theirs through the Bath cats and dogs home (RSPCA run I think) who saw nothing odd in their request.
    Good luck and hope you get the perfect kitty - even if it doesn't turn out to be exactly what you thought you wanted :D

6. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I don't think they will think you shallow, I got mine the CP, I wanted a ginger cat and enquired about one on the ad they put in the local paper, but ended up with a different ginger and white boy plus a grey and white tabby girl, so yes go with an idea of what you want but you never know what you'll end up with once the kitty's are in front of you.

7. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

i bet you dont end up with what you specify lol

i went along wanting a ginger or tabby kitten and came away with a black and white 2 year old!! all because i felt so sorry for all the black and black/white cats that get left behind in the shelters.

8. gobubbles

gobubbles PetForums Junior

Nobody can force you to adopt a cat (or 2) you don't want!!! (although you'll fall in love with half the kitties there so keep your priorities firmly in mind...)

On another note - think carefully before going for looks alone: you may end up with antisocial or unsuitable cats. My brother in law wanted a tabby cat for the same reason as you, and ended up with a cat that's a bit of a psycho... They love him, but in future they'll choose based on temperament first.

9. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Aren't all kittens a bit psycho - how would you tell the difference? :tongue_smilie:

On another note - so many questions today - how many times did you all go into a rescue centre before you fell in love with your perfect cat? Unfortunately when we last went to the CPL all the cats had been reserved - even the adult b/w cats, which was great news for the cats.

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I just went the once for all my pets - I don't know how but I did just 'know'

When I was choosing a friend for Basil the new arrival had to be able to stand their ground & not be a shy, retiring sort - Winnie was anything but that!

When I saw her keeping her brothers in line (the ginger boys) I knew she was 'the one' :D

11. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

The ginger and tabby kittens do usually go first :p so be prepared to hear their all reserved if you see any your color! at the battersea where i am we don't yet have many kittens so i'm not sure which site your going to but there will probably be more a little later in the season.
    Good luck with any new babies though be sure to post pics :D

12. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Thanks for that - It would be the Battersea site we would be going to - is that where you work?

When do you suppose would be the best time to visit the rescue centres for kittens, as I think perhaps I am looking a bit too early in the 'season'

13. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

I am a volunteer at one of the smaller sites and this week we have no kittens, i think we really see more in may/june time so it is a little early at the moment, not that there is any harm in being prepared :) sometimes i think if you have specific requirements they keep you on the database so if any kittens came in of that color you would be contacted first ( providing no one else was on the list 1st etc ) :)
    Having said that, it's completely possible your see a kitten a different color who steals your heart for whatever reason :p

14. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

We were going to the main site in Battersea, as we thought they may have more kittens and cats as their centre is so big (you never know we may settle for two black cats instead!) I may go anyway just to get the ball rolling with them, get the interview, arrange the home visit etc. although would they want to do a new home visit or would they be happy with the RSPCA one? Somehow I suspect their database would be too huge to contact us about our specific requirements :blink:

15. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Don't take my word for it because i am not 100% but unless there the cat has very special requirements or they are unsure of you, they don't always do home visits, at mine they normally only do a home visit if it is an indoor cat their rehoming, or a cat which maybe has alot of issues and needs to be in a special environment.
    If your planning on getting 2 kitties i am not sure they will come out to check your house. With battersea you must register with them, then your info is kept and you can meet any potential cats, you cannot meet any till you register :)
    They may well have some kitties there now since their the biggest centre but don't give up if their not there yet :D

16. tagalong

tagalong PetForums Senior

Batterseaa will ask for a Vet reference and a character reference if they don't home check .
    I own a Battersea foster /keeper cat and tbh they were really great in London -she has a disability and they did the very best to help her.
    Depending where you are in London there is also ther Mayhew Home and if you can get to Watford the Animal Welfare trust who are also good

17. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I know who we want as a vet but they can't give us a reference as we haven't any animals - except fish. They could call the lady at the RSPCA who did our home check, as I would think that both places would be checking for the same things.

We live in North London (Crouch End) so we could go to Mayhew but their opening times are during the week so my DH & I couldn't go together (we work alternate days at home). Never heard of the Watford one so will check that now. Celia Hammond said we lived too far away - I found that a bit surprising but each centre to their own!

18. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I have had a breeder look down on me for colour preference before. Before I got my blue exotic I was considering a ragdoll, and when I asked a breeder for a seal colourpoint male I was told she doesn't 'breed to order' and what is born, is born basically! I replied I certainly wasnt expecting her to drop her plans and work to make me a seal colourpoint but simply was wondering what her planned litters were this year! I have since found out, luckily, that this is NOT the norm.

In fact when I got my ginger tabby exotic I was fawning over the blue exotic they had there, and when a blue exotic baby was born (though not that kittens) the breeder rang me up and said they had a blue kitten and would I like to go see him. I did and he has ended up being utterly perfect!

19. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

We went to just 1 shelter and only the once, wanted a black cat, kept looking at their website all the time, seen the cat which i wanted - but we got picked by another cat, do know though that the one i was looking at on their website has now also found her forwver home. My oh did think of checking a few out but knew that once i got in there i wouldnt be leaving without one

20. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Just had a look at the Battersea website and saw two cats aged 3-5, and 2-3 years old that look lovely - DH thinks they are great too.

If I have already changed my mind about age just by looking at a website I can imagine what I will be like when I see all those cats in front of me. Oh dear!....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice