Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can you feed a puppy on adult dry dog food ?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by poppydog1, Jun 7, 2010.

1. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

Would it be ok to feed a 12 week pup on adult food, would be easier as i dont want to store 2 bags of food any views welcome.:confused:

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Which food is it you are feeding?

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Depending on the food some brands of puppy is exactly the same just smaller kibble (if dried food)

4. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

It would depend on the food and the breed of dog.
    Giant breeds tend to be switched on to adult food early, to stabalise their growth of height versus girth.

5. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I've known plenty of dogs who've never had puppy food. Had I realised when my two were puppies that the ingredients were practically identical then there's no way I'd have paid the extra £10 for puppy food.

The majority of foods, there is so little difference besides the price tag.

6. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i've been advised to move my 10week old pup onto adult food, as puppy food is higher in protien, causing him to be more hyper and also grow faster which can be bad for his soft bones

7. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

Can I ask what breed he is?
    With my Newfies and Saint I have to be careful of protein levels. I keep them to 20% protein or slightly less. But I also have to keep an eye on the fat content.

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

As others have said, they are pretty much the same (or even exactly the same ingredients, just milled into different shapes) in the majority of cases, with only a tiny percentage difference between the various life stages. If I ever get round to breeding, I won't wean any pups going to new homes onto a puppy version of a food, they will go directly on to the adult version of a good quality complete food. Any staying with me will be raw fed, as my dogs are. So depending which food it is, whether there's a vast difference between the various levels, it really shouldn't make much difference at all, if any. You may need to soak it if they are larger pieces of kibble, or whack it through the blender for a few seconds.

9. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

he's a border collie but at 8 weeks was already weighing in at over 5kg! he's a very big boy

10. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

Its dry were wanting to feed to be honest our pup eats our adult dogs food now and seems to manage any size even though she is only a JRT i think my next bag will be to share then.

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I fed puppy food for about a month with one of mine, and never with the other.

I dont believe in different foods for different lifestages, and will always have mine on what i feel is suitable on a nutritional level. Puppy food is a way of making ££££ imo.

I currently have two senior dogs (almost 11 and 12) and they are on a standard adult food, and are doing extremely well on it.

12. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i agree with u on the ££ front, however it was the owner of CSJ dog food herself who suggested putting my pup onto adult food...... theres a couple of quids difference in them, puppy being more expenive

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive found some pet food companies are better and more honest than others.

I was told by Burns once that the food i was looking at wasnt suitable for the purpose i needed it, and ended up going with a different brand.

They put my dog and his needs first, rather than their profits.

14. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

WE got told by our vet to change Mavis over to Adult found as she thought the high protein content could be causing the bad ear infections she was having at the time

Juliex

15. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Thats why I switched onto Burns mini bites. I couldnt be bothered getting puppy food and adult and that one was for pups and toy breeds!:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice