Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

can u create a utonagan

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by chianya, Apr 7, 2011.

1. chianya

chianya PetForums Senior

sorry if this sounds stupid i know they were created in the 1980s usin different breeds includin mals huskys and gsd. And were created to make a wolf like dog but can u creat the breed yourself or if u want a uton u have to buy 1 who has both uton parents. I know someone who had a husky x mal and a gsd x husky bred them and called them uton. My problem is the utons arent meant to have black in them, blue eyes, ink spots or a mainly brown colour but theirs has so have they created a uton or not

2. raindog

raindog PetForums Senior

It's easy - you just get hold of a poor quality, badly bred Sibe, Mal and GSD, mix them up for a couple of generations (don't bother with health testing or keeping accurate pedigree records) and Hey Presto!! you have your own brand new wolf lookalike breed. I wouldn't bother to call it a Utonagan - that's already been done. How about British Snowdog, or Southern Iniut, or Iniut Timber Dog or some such rubbish.

Mick :rolleyes:::rolleyes:::rolleyes:::rolleyes::

3. raindog

raindog PetForums Senior

Sorry, I just get very angry about these ridiculous made-up breeds - especially when they have been created in such an irresponsible manner.
    To answer your original question without the cynicism, no the dogs in question would not officially be Utonagans unless they were bred from registered Utonagans as recognised by one of the Breed Clubs - eg The Utonagan Society

Mick

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

it isnt a ute, just a 4 cross breed. currently someone is selling alaskan mals x GSD for £550 as 'ute' :nono: :rolleyes::

5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Just out of curiosity then what makes a mal x GSD x husky a mongrel and what makes it a Ute??:confused:
    Is it so many generations removed or a certain percentage of those breeds?? I mean technically as its so new, isnt it a made up breed??

6. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

If it breeds true then you've got a breed.

In the case of the Ute's I've met you've got a fantastic looking breed that is prone to the worst dysplacia I've ever seen in my life. Sad is not the word and it is the direct result of prioritising looks over health (or is that profit over health? I can never remember)..

7. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

As far as I know they are both one and the same

Its not "new" as such, I believe. They have been around since the late 80s here but the orignial dogs imported to the UK were of unkown parentage and i think there has been an issue with documenting pedigrees ever since

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice