Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can there be any other reason?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MilleD, Jun 5, 2019.

1. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

My 15 year old, Dave, has been eating like a horse for a few weeks.

Literally screaming at me to feed her every time I walk into the kitchen, however she is losing weight and you can feel her spine and ribs.

She's not been well for a while - she's on Metacam for arthritis, and regularly needs a course of antibiotics to get rid of recurrent URIs.

I've been to the vets and she has had blood tests that have ruled out hyperthyroidism or any problems with her kidneys or liver.

So my question is, is this likely to be cancer? The blood tests showed raised levels of inflammation that the vet put down to the arthritis and asked me to raise the Metacam dosage slightly for 2 weeks then take her in for more bloods. But every time I look at her I just see the big C :(.

Is raised inflammation indicative of cancer? I daren't Google....

2. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

hmm Just read post properly.

Wish I had advice - just wondering if it’s age related? Huck is eating loads too - he’s 13 - and is skinny as everything.

Fingers crossed all is ok.

3. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

I don't want to worry you but... Cancer could cause being hungry all the time and would mean despite what she eats she would be losing weight. And also inflammation.

However, I would suspect that if your vet thought this was a potential diagnosis they would have spoken to you about it. There is also the possibility that if it was cancer then they might have found something when examining her (both our cats who had intestinal cancer were initially diagnosed by feeling their tummy's, and then confirmed through further tests).

I think if you are worried you need to speak to your vet again, but if they haven't mentioned it up till now I do wonder if they think it's the case.

ewelsh likes this.
  4. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

It could be her age, but it really is constant. It's not like she does that much either. She basically eats and sleeps :) It's a cat's life....

ewelsh and huckybuck like this.
  5. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I suspect that the vet really thought it would be her thyroid and that possibly clouded him looking for other things.

He looked at her teeth and felt her abdomen pretty thoroughly. Although he said her teeth were fine, I think that one of her canines might be giving her problems as she has started eating with her head weirdly tilted to one side...

I think another vet visit is in order

6. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Isn't cancer usually picked up on blood tests initially? I don't know much about it, sorry :(

But hopefully it's just an age thing and she's otherwise well

MilleD and ewelsh like this.
  7. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I think the problem is that a raised inflammation marker could point towards anything from infection to cancer. I'll be booking her in again today.

She is driving me mad asking for food and I don't want to start getting annoyed with her...

chillminx likes this.
  8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hope you get an answer soon and that it isn't anything sinister ,x

MilleD likes this.
  9. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Ask for full bloods to be done, put your mind at rest.

Hoping all is well and Dave is just getting on as we all are :)

MilleD likes this.
  10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Cancer is not diagnosed by blood tests. Usually ultrasound is the first step in diagnosing cancer, or needle biopsy.

Sorry to hear you and Dave are going through this @MilleD

MilleD, Calvine and chillminx like this.
  11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I have one who does the same. Refuses what I offer, then waits until I am doing something and starts whining that he's hungry. Then of course I have to stop what I'm doing and feed him, then the others think it's dinnertime again (well, Teddy's being fed, so we're in with a chance). Teddy will actually jump on to my lap and give a dribbly purr, or stand on his back legs and attach himself to my leg, all the time wearing a panic-stricken, starving-to-death expression! It does wear you down, I agree.

MilleD likes this.
  12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@MilleD as you say signs of inflammation can be due to infection or an inflammatory condition such as arthritis, not necessarily cancer. And as lorilu said cancer is not diagnosed by blood tests.

Perhaps the inflammation could be related to her lungs? (as well as her arthritis) Does the vet know why Dave gets URI's - is it related to an old Feline Herpesvirus infection?

And, which antibiotic has she had to treat the URI's? Some ABs are less effective than others for URIs, especially ones that keep recurring. The most effective I have used for one of my cats is Doxycycline. Since a course of that 8 months ago he has had no repeat URI's . As a side note I too get URI's, (as I have asthma), and since being prescribed doxycycline the frequency of my infections has reduced considerably.

Is Dave having Yumove (or simular product) to help manage the arthritis?

huckybuck and MilleD like this.
  13. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

So sorry I can’t help, but an ultrasound scan sounds a sensible course of action. I know it’s hard shaking off those horrible feelings but you might be worrying unnecessarily. Please let us know how he gets on. xxx

Calvine and MilleD like this.
  14. Moglets

Moglets PetForums Junior

How very worrying. It does sound exactly like hyperthyroidism. Did the vet actually feel for a tumour, as well as get the blood test done? I'd be inclined to see a different vet & get that blood test repeated - in fact, as suggested, a full range of blood tests & thorough physical examination. It certainly sounds as if you can now feed your cat as much as it likes. Whatever is going on, whether disease or old age, leave a good supply of food to be eaten on demand & plenty of water, of course. Good dry food would be a good back-up, whether or not you usually feed it. Once a cat is losing weight, worrying about limited regular meals becomes a thing of the past.

15. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Leaving food out would be really tricky as the fat git in my avatar will just hoover everything up. And it's difficult to separate them as she will just scratch at the door...

AlexPed2393 and huckybuck like this.
  16. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Ooh, she's had a few different ABs for the URI which yes are related they think to a recurring virus. She first had an injectable one that lasted for 2 weeks, then tablets which I can't right now remember the name of.

I think it's an old thread of mine, I'll have to look.

I've not managed to get any yumove into her. Although I've not tried since she started to eat anything that didn't move - I'll try again.

17. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

She's booked into the vets on Saturday morning.

18. huckybuck

Microchip feeder MilleD - they work a treat! L H has put on over half a kilo since we got his.

Could fat git have been pinching her food?

19. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to Sir Scratchalot

Certain cancers can be detected by blood tests e.g Feline leukaemia

Rufus15 and MilleD like this.
  20. huckybuck

I might be inclined to repeat HT test too.

MilleD likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice