UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,619 Posts
for NOT wearing a dog tag
Or does anyone know where I can find the information please
I don't know where that info would come from first hand, possibly dog wardens or directly from the courts?

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
One of the first thing they told us at training was what is SUPPOSED to be on the tag ie owners surname, house number and postcode (I think)

Then went on to tell us of a previous dog owner who had looked really sheepish when she heard this, trainer said we don't care what you do outside of the class but in here thats what you must have to pass the citizen tests. She said Oh know its not that but I am a police woman and had no idea.

So yeah agree probably no-one!

edit to anser your last point - yes it is against the law,

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/AnimalsAndPets/Dogs/DG_175858

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/379

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It depends if it is truly a public place though. Because there are many areas that are deemed to be public such as field, etc which are in fact private property, a dog with permission to be on that private property does not have to display a tag.

So basically, if the dog was walking down the street, illegal. If the dog was walking across a field, debatable.

I have never seen anyone get picked up for it, where I work we have a homeless lady that has this evil american bulldog that doesn't wear a collar, she has a slip lead for him that if the dog warden comes round, she will put on but that is it. Although the AB has never bitten any of our staff yet, we have called the dog warden on multiple occasions about it but they don't do anything as 'kennels are too full to hold it for an investigation, if it bites, we can put it to sleep, wait until it bites'.

Sad. :(

·
Banned
12,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the first thing they told us at training was what is SUPPOSED to be on the tag ie owners surname, house number and postcode (I think)

Then went on to tell us of a previous dog owner who had looked really sheepish when she heard this, trainer said we don't care what you do outside of the class but in here thats what you must have to pass the citizen tests. She said Oh know its not that but I am a police woman and had no idea.

So yeah agree probably no-one!

edit to anser your last point - yes it is against the law,

Owning and caring for a dog : Directgov - Home and community

Dog Identification Tags - The Kennel Club
Yes, i know its against the law, but she just will not accept it! I have supplied links but still she is insisting it only applies to dangerous dogs. That is why I was hoping to find figures confirming how many had been prosecuted!
But would suspet that if anyone has that is would have been a secondry offence!

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
I am really bad for tagging mine, we have the tags on clips, as the sound annoys me in the house, so the clips mean i can take them off once indoors. But i rarely, if ever remember to put them on.

Ive never been stopped or asked about the tags (or lack of) by anyone

·
Banned
12,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am really bad for tagging mine, we have the tags on clips, as the sound annoys me in the house, so the clips mean i can take them off once indoors. But i rarely, if ever remember to put them on.

Ive never been stopped or asked about the tags (or lack of) by anyone
Same here sid n kire, but I think I was a little gobsmacked that someone whos job it is to know, doesn't and then for her to go and say as much on facebook is imo irresponsible

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Mine all have tags, not for legal reasons but in case they get away when out. They are chipped but it's simpler for someone to read a tag than take it to a vet and get it scanned. I also have notices outside the house informing of dogs in the garden and inside. I haven't put the word 'warning' though as I'd read that would imply the dogs are aggressive and used as a threat. :rolleyes:

Some dog warden if she doesn't even know dog law! Sorry can't help with statistics though!

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
The legal requirement to have ID on your dog, is covered by the Control of Dogs Order 1992. Which in turn as an offence is covered by the Animal Health Act 1981.

Seeing as the 1992 Order is enforced by local authorities and not the police. To get your answer you would have to ask each LA individually.

·
Registered
779 Posts
oh i had no idea it was illegal not to have a tag( alfie has one on at all times) god it would be a mammoth task round here not many dogs like others have said actually have them on :( thank you for posting this,you really do learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
Sounds like this Dog Warden should get the new qualification available via the KC.

Anyone can be a dog owner, dog warden, dog trainer unfortunately. Even if they have only one brain cell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.