Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

can someone tell me about council housing?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jessiegirl, Jun 14, 2010.

1. jessiegirl

jessiegirl PetForums Senior

how id go about renting one?

at the mo im renting privately , but i wanna move somewhere cheaper.

im single no kids, but have a dog. all the places im trying privately wont accept a dog :mad: oh yeah im in fulltime work too..which i guess will go against me?

im just peed off and dunno what to do .

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Contact the housing department of your local council and they will send you an application pack.

Be prepared to wait. Ive been on the waiting list for 4 years, and i have reasonably high priority due to illness.

Working full time shouldnt go against you.

3. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

I'm in the same position as you hun. 52% of my take home pay goes on rent alone and the 'comfortable' level is suggested to be around 25 - 30%. I work full time too. Nightmare!

I'm on a list have been for years but I am not a priority. I don't have any suggestions but just wanted to say I sympathise :(

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Afraid you will be at the bottom of the list. Council here work on points, everyone get 5 points for applying, then you get extra points for things like overcrowding, trouble off neighbours (but that has to be backed up with police forms) homeless etc.

It is a pain trying to find somewhere to rent with a dog, we have two and it took us a year to find a place that would accept them and housing benefit!

The one thing we were suggested to do was fill out housing applications with solicitors that do rents aswell as house sales, and write that your dog is quiet, well behaved, house trained, never chews and isnt left long, along with maybe say you are prepared to pay an extra depsosit and that you can provide a reference. (age and breed also may help a couple of places asked for that info aswell).

Don't give up :)

5. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Sorry, but don't think there is any chance of you getting somewhere!

I phone before we moved here because we'd have been homeless if we didn't find somwhere and got told tough - the lady actually told me to call back when i was on the streets!!

6. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

i work full time have no money for myslef and have been on my list for 7 years i have not been offered any house i have 100 points i think and at last check was 45 on the list that was 3 months ago i have no children either.

i have 5 months to get a house or a new rented one bedroom house or flat somewhere or i am homeless.

I spoke to the girl who explaind that unless i had kids was out on the street (living rough) or on methadone or benefits of some kind i have no hope in hell. :(

A guy i work with was told that he had to wait to get a house till his OH had had the child then come down with the papers and child as proof.....

*Kara*

in short i hate my council and most of them for that matter...... i never understood why they would overlook someone who can pay all their bills for someone who is on benefits and may struggle (not that they all do)

#6 k4r4, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  7. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Phone them up or go into their office and ask for an application form, fill it in and take it back. Most have a very long waiting list, but sometimes if you are private renting like we were before we got our Charter House, you may be lucky enough to get one quicker, as it is cheaper for them to put you into council than pay for Private rent which cost alot more. We were on Charter for 3 years, but first time we applied we were in a council house in a run down area, we wanted to move out and had a hell of a time where we were, so we moved to Cwmbran and rented privately, we were in private for only 6 months and they offered us a house. :thumbup:

8. Beebuks

Beebuks PetForums Member

I would make an appointment to see a housing adviser at your local housing department, they will advise you how their waiting list works and the likely hood of getting somewhere? They will also help you to look at other options around private renting etc. Council housing waiting lists are open to anyone - income is not generally an issue, the main thing is you will be able to pay your rent through earnings or making a claim for housing benefit. The main problem with housing waiting lists that most housing departments have not much housing and lots of people wanting it!!

Private rented landlords do accept pets sometimes - they often require a 'pet deposit' over and above the normal deposit, and may require information about the breed, age etc? You also may find that the type of property will have an impact on pets being allowed. If you are looking at an upper floor flat then you are less likely to get a landlord willing to accept a dog than a ground floor flat with a garden?! They may also place restrictions on the dog going into certain rooms areas of the house?!

Hope this helps....

9. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

If you want a council house in double quick time you have to lose your morals and realise that almost everyone is "screwing the system".

If you are determined to have scruples in your housing application; I hope those scruples keep you warm at night in a dingy bedsit with a leaking roof and extortionate rent.

Getting a house from the council or housing association is less about need and more about "ticking boxes/hitting targets". Every human being needs shelter, regardless of ethnicity, sex or other social backgrounds, but that point seems to escape the local councils.

The following story is true:

I had a single friend, white, no children, hetrosexual, in her 20's, diabetic, working full time, who bounced from private landlord to private landlord, always doing a moonlight flit when she'd ran up 6 or 7 months rent arrears. She never bothered applying to the council and never bothered paying any of the arrears.

She called me one day to tell me that she needed to move yet again. She wasn't getting on with her friend from work, whom she'd moved in with 5 months before (I later discovered that yet again she was way behind with the rent).

Anyway, I was faced with her either landing on my doorstep for somewhere to stay (which OH warned me wouldn't be allowed to happen) or I could take evasive action.

I took her straight down to the local council housing office that day, and before we went in, I informed her what type of people get housing faster. She listened with interest.

By the time she filled in her application form and had an "interview", her story was transformed to this:

She was a woman in crisis. She had been suffering months of abuse at the hands of her black lesbian lover. Her parents and family all lived in a different city, and all of them had turned their back on her when she came out as gay. She had nowhere to stay and nowhere to turn. On top of this, she was also an insulin dependant diabetic and the fear of her girlfriend finding her if she went to the police was causing bouts of panic and agoraphobia. Her only friend in the city (me) lived in X postcode, and she needed to be within 1 mile of him because of her agoraphobia and diabetes.

This was on Friday.

She got the keys to a 3 bedroomed house on the Tuesday morning in a half-decent area (compared to where she could have been housed). She was also given £1,500 to furnish it.

Once in there, she got a couple of cats and lived there for quite some time before...yup...you guessed it...falling way behind with the rent and doing a moonlit flit. And nope; this person is no longer on my list of friends.

But I'm telling you this because it is unfortunately how the system works.

Do you know how many empty flats there are out there that are meant to be occupied by "the father who has split from the family", when in reality, he's still living in the family home? He gets the flat paid for as well as council tax etc. Usually he lets his brother or mate stay there for £30 a week, while he continues to enjoy life in the family home on double benefits.

You can't play fair with a system as corrupt as that. It's a case of adapt or die.

Good luck with your housing application!

;)

10. HelloKittys

HelloKittys PetForums Senior

I actually think you do have a chance (going by where i live anyway),i'm living in a two bed flat at the moment with my partner(who works full time),9 year old boy and 1 year old girl.
    The council said a 8 months ago that i am top priority to get a 3 bed house as there is more then 7 years age difference between my son and daughter so they can't share a room and there are 4 of us in just a 2 bed flat.
    I have not heard anything thing since.

I hate this new "bidding" system,i've not been "eligable" for 1 place yet!!
    There are always 1 bed flats/bedsits and house's,which makes me think you could find it easy..well easier then people with kids anyway.

my sister's boyfriend is 17,he was living with his nan and one day last month he decided he wanted to move out....2 weeks later and he is now in a TWO BED flat!! he works full time and is now in the same size place as me.

At the moment,me and OH are saving money for a deposit to go private as there is just no room in this tiny flat for a growing/hyper toddler and an energetic 9 year old.

Good luck with finding somewhere :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice