Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

can someone please tell me what are the breeds of my kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by amanda1975, Aug 19, 2009.

1. amanda1975

amanda1975 PetForums Newbie

this was taken when it was a few days old they are now nearly 6 weeks and have the same markings

Attached Files:

2. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Well it would help if we could see piccies of them at 6 weeks old then! :D

3. amanda1975

amanda1975 PetForums Newbie

this pic was taken today

Attached Files:

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

The breed is moggy - unless you have proof of breeds of dad, mum, grand parents, great grandparents and great great grand parents you can't call a cat a 'breed' (pedigree). Having said that moggies are gorgeous and I have a beautiful one.

What you are realy looking for here is an answer to what colour this kitten is - and he looks like a black smoke/ shaded to me. This is all to do with the silver gene and it's different masking properties.

5. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

No, apparently not - I just learned this a couple of days ago. That sort of coat, where it's "reverse silver" (silver cats have the black on the end of the hair, these have the black at the root), is called "fever coat" and unfortunately it's just a black kitten, as soon as the coat changes it will go black. It's caused by an infection which causes the hair to lose pigment.

It's a pity because they are incredibly pretty as they are, but apparently not at all unknown.

Liz

spid likes this.
  6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Wow - you learn something new everyday! And I thought I'd just got my head around silver genetics! So all these cats will end up plain black? Or whatever colour they are underneath the silver? Pity - they are quite striking!

7. Yep

Ive just been reading up on fever coats since it was mentioned on the thread with the striking looking kitten litter.

This kitten will end up black - ordinary plain but still beautiful black.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice