Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can someone give me advice about my dog's skin condition?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by emble90, Jun 15, 2010.

1. emble90

emble90 PetForums Newbie

#1 emble90, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

the link says access denied

3. emble90

emble90 PetForums Newbie

#3 emble90, Jun 15, 2010
  4. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

What is she fed on? Did the vet do any skin scrapes?

5. emble90

emble90 PetForums Newbie

#5 emble90, Jun 15, 2010
  6. hawksport

hawksport Banned

You need a new vet, skin conditions can be one of the hardest and most expensive things to diagnose.

7. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

IN the mean time it cant hurt to give her a tin of cheap sardines 2 or 3 times a week to give her the oil. It sounds obvious but shes not picking up fleas is she, Im sure you would know this. What biscuits does she have?

8. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

IN the mean time it cant hurt to give her a tin of cheap sardines 2 or 3 times a week to give her the oil. It sounds obvious but shes not picking up fleas is she, Im sure you would know this. What biscuits does she have?

9. davehyde

davehyde Banned

dont want to sound harsh but the food she is on could be causing this.

both low grade full of crap.

10. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

Nice little dog :)

My previous dog had skin problems all of its life, and it can be a nightmare to deal with. Here are a few things that I have tried/done which seemed to help him.

First look at her diet. Pedigree, Pal, Wagg and Chappie all have either artificial colours, fillers and cereals that can cause skin problems in some dogs.

It may be worth looking for one dog food that has none of these (there are quite a few of them) and see if that helps improve things. Makes like James Wellbeloved, Fish4Dogs and others are considered 'safer' for some dogs with skin conditions.

Trying on a raw diet could also help, and this did have a really good effect on my previous dog.

Once you have decided what food you are going to try, give that for about 4-6 weeks and see if there is a change in skin condition.

Cut out all treats, chews etc initially while you see if a change in diet works.

Ask your vet if the dose of the Piriton can be increased to stop your dog itching and make it more comfortable. The itchy areas can get chewed and infected so it is important to get that under control.

Bathe your dog in a decent shampoo, I used to use Malaseb from the vet, or a herbal based shampoo purchased online. and make sure that her flea treatment is effective and up to date. Flea collars are a waste of time in my opinion, and although I dont like using them the only effective stuff I find is something like Frontline..

I also used to give Evening Primrose tablets to improve skin condition - anything else just seemed to make him even more itchy for some reason!

Sorry it's a bit of a long reply, and hope it helps.

#10 ploddingon, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  11. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Agree totally,pedigree is very high in sugar :eek: and can cause terrible skin probs.

12. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I hate the stuff.

Since switching to a raw diet (only 3 weeks ago) I can't look at a tin of dog food without wrinkling my nose.

Rupert is thriving too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice