Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can she concieve?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Poppy2509, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Poppy2509

Poppy2509 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am new here and have a 19month old chocolate Lab called Poppy.

I just wondered if anyone can offer me some advice. Poppy had her last season in December, it finished the 3rd week. I am wondering if it is possible for her to concieve in the next two weeks? From the research I have done I think the answer is no, but looking for a bit of assurance.

Reason being is we have been looking for another adult Lab to add to our family. One has come up today which we really love, only he needs to be rehomed asap. He is entire. Poppy is booked in to be spayed on 3rd March, this was booked before this dog came up as we don't plan to breed from her.

We would really love this dog as he is perfect for our family, but the only way we can take them is to keep them together for two weeks. We have explored all other options.

Advice greatly appreciated. THanks in advance :)

Spellweaver and Lurcherlad like this.
  2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome.

If Poppy's season finished before the end of December, she would be well and truly out of season now.

I can't believe she's at any risk of being mated.

A bitch is only really fertile around the middle and sometimes towards the end of her season and that time has well passed.

How nice it is to see someone being extra cautious though that an unplanned mating doesn't take place. x

3. Poppy2509

Thank you :) I did think this was the case, but we really don't want to risk an unplanned litter. We really want to give this lovely boy a home and are planning to take Poppy to meet him tomorrow if there is no risk. His owner recently died and he would fit perfectly into our family.

kodakkuki likes this.
  4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

A bitches normal season is split into 4 parts.

Pro oestrus when you see the signs of the vulva swelling and discharge which lasts approx. 9 days. (some bitches will be less or more but on average)

Oestrus which again lasts approx. 9 days on average (but again can be shorter or longer but as a guide) In oestrus they ovulate and can get pregnant, males are usually super interested and the female where she usually doesn't in the previous stage, usually will encourage them and may even flag their tails to one side if the owner strokes their backs which is how they stand and encourage the male usually.

They then go into Di-oestrus all the outward signs and swelling goes, but hormone levels as still higher and the reproductive tract is under the influence of the hormones still. If they are going to get things like phantom pregnancies or uterine infections its usually at this stage. This can last for up to 60/90 days.
    They can however not get pregnant ovulation on a normal season has gone.

Lastly they go into anoestrous where the increased hormone levels have stopped and the reproductive tract is in a resting state. Its usually at the end of Di-oestrus going into an-oestrus when you get them spayed. This lasts about 3/4 months until it all starts again, based on bitches coming into season twice yearly around every 6 months.

If she started beginning of December and by the third/fourth week of December she was back to normal and no discharge and if her previous seasons have been very regular and similar to the above, you should be OK.

#4 Sled dog hotel, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

No she will not be able to concieve.

But again thank you for showing extra concern and indeed for giving this needy boy a good home.

Would love to see piccies of them both when you get a chance.

6. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Your post has really cheered me up - so fab to see someone doing all they can to avoid their girl getting pregnant. You are a refreshing change!

Hope all goes well with the meeting between Poppy and the new boy. My Lab was a rescue and I adore him. If you have time, head over to 'dog chat' and post some pics of Poppy :)

7. Poppy2509

Thank you for all your lovely replies.

I can't wait to introduce them now, was a bit worried before that we wouldnt be able to offer him a home. Our Poppy loves other dogs so really hope they get on well.

8. Poppy2509

Here is my lovely girl...

Attached Files:

9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Oh, she's very pretty.

Best of luck with the introduction .......... hope she likes her new Boyfriend! x

10. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Poppy is a very pretty Lab :)

11. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Awww she is gorgeous :)
    Labs are so social I expect introductions will go well.

But don't worry even if they have a couple of days settling in with each other and establishing boundaries, I bet they will be firmest of friends within a few weeks

12. Honeys mum

Honeys mum PetForums VIP

Poppy looks lovely, well done for being so caring and not wanting any unplanned litters.
    Hope every thing goes well with the meeting and I'm sure they will be the best of friends in no time.
    Wishing you all many happy years together.

13. Poppy2509

All went well. We brought Nev home with us. He seems a little stressed but making himself at home :)

Attached Files:

14. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Gosh, he's handsome! Give him a while, it's probably very exciting for him!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice