Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can rats have a bath?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by polishrose, Nov 12, 2012.

1. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Badger particularly smelt a bit of wee when I was cuddling him today, the others weren't as bad-is it possible to give them a bath in baby bath liquid or something?

2. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

They can have a bath, but most don't like it so I only bath if really needed :)

3. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Thanks-would a baby wipe be better?

4. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Perfect :D

5. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I have a constant supply of baby wipes in the house LOL

6. Nat88

Nat88 PetForums Senior

I tried bathing my rats in the sink once; ended up with red scratch-marks all up my arms :p Baby wipes would be much less painful haha.

7. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

LOL this is why I asked first :D

8. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

What I tried was getting a squirty/spray bottle, put a little tiny bit of small animal shampoo in it with warmish water to really thin it out, then spray some either on a old flannel/unused dishcloth or directly on the rat. Then just dry with a piece of kitchen roll or a small piece of cloth. Clean rat with no scratches:dita:

9. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

i sometimes bath my rats. i used to do it normally before i went to a rat show. but they dont always like it, they try to jump out. i use a flea treatment shampoo, even if they dont have fleas t makes their fur softer. when you put them back in the cage you will notice they tend to smell faster than before you washed them. you have washed their scent away so they want it back :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. kathateria

kathateria PetForums Member

my friend baths hers.They swim in there.they hated it at first,but loves it now

11. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I used unscented baby wipes, much less stressful for the rats (unless you have any that love paddling) & no scratches on me. Though I do find a toothbrush & bowl of tepid water more effective at getting their tails clean

12. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

know rats can swim but dont put the water to high. the rats will panic. i put a few inches in the bath then let them paddle around in that.

13. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

when i had my last boys (unofficial fosters) they were so dirty if you petted them your hand was sticky with wee and dirt; and they hated it (as all rat owners know). i popped them in the bath with a tiny bit of water and they started rolling! so i filled it more, and more... and they had a right wee swim- so i put a swimming float in for them to rest on and they didnt want out for a good hour!
    i do miss those boys :( but they went to an excellent home... with a huge tub!

i havn't tried bathing gideon and reid... might give that a go this week or so!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice