Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can pet owners beat a credit crunch?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by princessx87, Aug 3, 2009.

1. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

I was thinking to myself today, (Bill day for all animals we have!)
    Everything now days is so expensive.
    This made me think about maybe starting a thread of price busting products / Business to help everyone with animals.
    (Sorry if this has already been done!!)

A month i am paying out nearly £185.00 for:-
    2 dogs (Small and med sized)
    4 cats
    1 kitten.

This is just for:-

Insurance,
    Food,
    replacements (Collars, bedding, toys ect.)
    Worming,
    De-fleaing,
    Vets, (If needed)
    Litter,
    Cleaning products,
    Shampoo's ect..

I am just wondering if others have got as many pets, roughly how much it cost you monthly, and how you manage to keep the cost down.??

2. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

We have 2 large dogs (30kg) and probably spend about £110 a month.

Insurance is £36
    Food £60
    poo bags/chews/treats etc accounts for the rest

We could easily buy a cheaper food as £30 per 15kg but i'm relectant to change it as it suits them.

You can save money on collars/treats/toys/bedding by looking around rather than just going to local pet store. Our dogs had a folded up duvet for a bed when we first got them and their favourite toys are kids soft ones from Ikea.

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My medium (11 kilo) dog is around £20 insurance, £5 flea stuff, £1 wormer, £10 food per month. Toys come from the pound shop, and we make them last, or if we need a new ball I will walk in the woods around our local tennis courts - one day we did that and Zig sniffed out 14 of them! The lead we use most of the time is the one I got when I got her over 4 years ago, it cost £7.50. Collars I get from tuffstuff with the phone numbers embroidered on, I think they are around £6.50 each, we have 3 for when they are in the wash. Most coats I make myself, but I bought an Obtrack coat with 4-way stretch for agility training, that was £58. The expensive stuff is the entry and camping fees for the agility shows we do - now that is serious money, £40 at least twice a month through the summer, not even counting the cost of fuel for the trip! I must be mad, and I'm looking for a second dog! Oh, and weekly agility training fees £3.

#3 Burrowzig, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Im paying gawd knows how much! darent add it up what with meds food accu etc, but I still find the money and always will for my dogs:)

5. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

Car Boots are good to find stuff like beds etc. Ours have duvuets in quilt covers lol. Harley has a Scooby doo one.

6. ruth9

ruth9 PetForums Member

Snap! I daren't add up what I spend on my two. I have cut down on buying treats and make up a liver cake for them. I cut it up into tiny pieces and freeze it in small batches and it lasts ages. The other thing I've done is sometimes if I've gone to the supermarket late evening and there is fresh meat or fish reduced to 10p or 20p a pack I'll get that for them for a meal. I've cut down myself more than my dogs.

7. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Oscar doesnt cost us a lot to be honest...

He eats applaws food at £1.13 a can... They are on 3 for 2 in p@h atm...

He has 3 a day.. Plus various treats, and a pack or two of fresh chicken...
    Thats on a good day anyway.. (he usually eats half that :( His choice, not ours btw...!)
    He has never been one to eat much really... :rolleyes:

I buy cheap toys for him... His favourites are pink squeeky toys... He loves them! Oh, and his tiger which he takes to bed with him :)

My parents are lucky to use the PDSA for vetinary treatment.. My dad is retired due to ill health and my mum is his carer...

His grooming costs £25 every few months in spring / summer... We usually let him have his longer fur in winter as he gets cold

8. rik

rik PetForums Newbie

We have two big dogs and to beat the credit crunch we started to buy our pet food in bulk online from this place: Let sleeping dogs lie - Robbies Dog Food

Saves a lot of money because food like that costsa fortune in stores.

9. Frenchie

Frenchie Banned

Hi princessx87,

you came up with quite a good list, maybe try to find out alternative options to each of these.

For instance, see if you can save on pet insurance and take advantage of current offers.

A quick tip, if you decide to switch pet insurance, make sure you do it just before your pet's next birthday as insurance premiums increase with age.

:)

10. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

I would be scared to add up how much it costs for Bailey and the girls every month but I know he's cost us a fortune compared to the girls! :eek:

I would rather cut my own expenditure down before my pets suffered.

11. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

This is going to hurt to admit it.............

Insurance-£60

Food-£80

Flea/worming-£50/£60

Toys-£30

Litter-£14

...............etc

These are rough estimates, i would have to check bank statements for the full amount!! Not that i want to :eek: i would freak out if i knew 100% lol!

There is also other things............but i seriously wouldn't dare add them as well!

P.S I have a fair few pets! 1 dog, 4 cats, 1 rabbit, 4 gerbils, 1 hamster and tropical fish!

12. madmack99

madmack99 PetForums Newbie

£20 insurance, £30 food and treats, endless amounts on toys etc. im mad i buy him new collors and leads i cant help it and wish i could stop but i cant. we will be out shopping and come across a pet shop ill think to my self have a quick look next thing you know come out with bags of stuff. if 31 collors and 18 leads aint an addiction then i dont know what is lol. at the end of the day what else am i going to spend my money on pointless boozing ??. :D

13. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

25$ per week wet food and raw

10$ litter

31$ for nearly a month of dry

this week i have to buy a cat carrier, a bed, a collar, and two new name tags

in a few weeks i have to spend 90$ for horris to be fixed

30$ booster

and then in a few months 167$ for another to be fixed

this week im going food shopping at a big pet store.

this is for 4 cats

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't want to add it up I might die of shock :eek:

Food = 2x 15kg bags a month at £18 each
    Tins for Candy as she isn't too fussed on dry.
    Felix pouches is on offer for £2.89 for the kitten. 12 pouches = 12 days

My dogs sleep on a duvet at the end of the bed. Their toys are mostly teddies from the charity shop.

Kitten is sleeping in a basket that my mum left here when we looked after one of her cats. Bedding is a clean sheet. Completely forgot to buy a litter tray and litter so tonight newspaper is down.

Deworming/flea treatment as and when needed.

£45 went out last week for Candy. Her anal glands were too full. She needed cream for her paw and an anti inflammatory jab.

Sky's insurance = £11 a month Candy's = £8

OMG :yikes:

15. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I would never want to go too cheap when it comes to my babies, Just wanted to know "if" we could cut down.

Lead and collar addiction i know very well lol, I am the same.

I have asked a few friends and some of them just buy worming, shampoo ect online. But is this safe?

I am not very good when it comes to online buying and i feel i wouldn't know if i am really buying the right product, i mean i could pay anything online and say its something else...!

Does anyone do that or have they tried??
    Is it really any cheaper???

16. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

About £100 per month, to be honest not actual thought about adding it up (denial) i suppose, thats for 2 springers.
    £140 per month on top of that at one time because of our first springers meds from the vets plus regular consultation fee's that was after a £2,000 vets bill:eek:

W e couldnt take advantage of the cheaper meds on-line but for anyone that can thats a money saving idea, much cheaper for flea treatment too.

#16 haeveymolly, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  17. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

£100 insurance, £100 on food. Don't really track treats, but they can easily go through 50 pigs ears in a fortnight. i worm them but don't flea them.

18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

£100 insurance?! How many dogs do you have LOL

19. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Just 2 at £50 each :(

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh dear :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice