Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can outdoor bunnies be indoor bunnies?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Rubyrubes, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Rubyrubes

Rubyrubes PetForums Member

Hi everyone :)
    Looking for some more advice.

I'm wondering if my mummy bunny (had 8 babies 3 wks ago) that is currently in the garage in a double wooden hutch be brought inside in the warm into a large indoor cage obviously with her babies?

There's a chance she is pregnant again,if she is she should show some signs this weekend,another question- will she be ok to be housed indoors if she has another litter? Cos it's not ideal her having her babies outside in such cold weather (didn't know she was about to have babies) so IF she is about to have more I'd much rather she was inside in a more suitable cage.

Will her current babies be ok to be brought in soon when they are weaned and
    leave mum?

2. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

The temp difference will be too great now, you need to leave them where they are, and please, please don't move mum about as that could be enough to unsettle her.
    I've known babies born out side in double minus figures still cope perfectly fine. Rabbits do better in the cold than the heat, the babies will develop a good coat for where they are at present.

They will be fine.

3. Rubyrubes

Thanks for that :)
    Will leave them all where they are then,the cold doesn't seem to be bothering them whatsoever,it's me that's worrying!

As soon as I know for sure mum isn't going to have more babies then I'm going to get her spayed,the vet said its not advised to have her in the double hutch after her op cos of the ramp so suggested she goes in an indoor cage. So would I get her used to the indoor cage before her op (when all but 1 of the babies have gone as I'm keeping 1) or just keep her in the double hutch then move her after her op to recover?

4. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I would just block the ramp off for a couple of days, there is no need to move her ;)
    Make sure you don't get her spayed until after the babies are weaned otherwise she will stop feeding them.

5. Rubyrubes

Thing is she hates it when I block the ramp off,she sits on it and tries to knaw through it,wondering why she can't get downstairs which is why I've had to leave it open with the babies inside, didn't want to stress her as she spends 95% of her time downstairs! The babies are fine going
    up and down the ramp tho!
    So when should I move her, before or after spaying. Don't want her getting injured on the ramp after her op?

I'll make sure babies are all fully weaned and hopefully at their new homes before I take her to get spayed :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice