Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can One Cock Tread A Variety Of Hens ???

Discussion in 'Poultry Breeders' started by eieio, Feb 16, 2008.

1. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

Hi all I'm new here . we have a trio of silver laced wyandots, and we would like to breed them., but also would like the gold laced hens, and maybe blue too, could our paxo( the silver laced ) tread these hens ? or do you have to have gold cock to gold hens, and blue cock to blue hens ,? even though they would all be same breed wyandots ?. we only have a small garden hence the room for only one cock ? . :confused:

thank you for any advise .

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

yes one cock would do quite a few hens

3. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

hi thanks for reply, but can i have silver laced cock and breed him with gold, blue laced and still keep the breed pure ,as in all silver laced wyandots but the variety of colors ? thank you :)

4. One cock can service upto 20 hens, if you want to breed pure bred poultry then you need to run a cock and two or three hens in seperate pens.

I used the breed gold, silver, white and red dorkings, auracanaers, roed island reds, wesummers, plus ducks and geese

5. Now i have read your post again.

To breed pedagree birds, the cock and hens have to be the same variety, outherwise all you get are a load of cross breds

6. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

What a moron! :rolleyes:

7. Hennish

Hennish PetForums Member

Gold laced wyandott hens hatch blue laced and gold laced chicks, and vice versa. A silver laced cockerel would hatch cross breeds with them.

8. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

awww please put some pictures up,,my other half wants hens, i would love to see some pictures of yours,:D:D

9. AnnC

AnnC PetForums Member

Will mine do?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's two being oh so very [un]helpful on cleaning out day.
    [​IMG]

#9 AnnC, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
  10. halkywalky

halkywalky PetForums Junior

the cock will not mind who it treads they are all females to him he would probably only manage 6 or 8 all together though and the colours of the offspring would vary.

11. MrsSmith

MrsSmith PetForums Member

we often have one cock to up to twenty hens with out loosing fertility. The silver laced cock and hens would turn up pure silver laced wyandottes, the silver laced cock and the gold or blue or any other color of wyandottes would not breed true on color, yes they would still be Wyandottes, but the color would vary and often not look anything like any recognizable color. We had a Silver laced Cochin cock over four blue, three black and two silver laced hens, we hatched some really nice looking "blue" chicks, but as they grew and got in their adult feathers we realized our "blue" chicks where anything but, they had some brown and some white feathers, even a bit of silver lacing on the wings of two of them. This is also though how they come up with new colors, so if you don't mind mixed chicks, or if you can find homes for mixed chicks (we live in the US, and never have a problem finding homes for pullets, pure or mixed, cockerels that don't sell are butchered) then go ahead, you will have a nice pretty flock of chickens and the resulting offspring could end up even more beautiful, and will still lay wonderful eggs!

Good luck with your chickens!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice