Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can never let dog off lead - Petrified of lead breaking/other dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sweetiz, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Sweetiz

Sweetiz PetForums Newbie

Hi there all,

Please please does anyone know how I can train my 2 chihuahuas to listen to me when I am outside with them walking?
    They are both 1 and half years old same litter and I have dropped the lead twice since having them as pups and they would bolt into the distance.
    If it wasn't for the fact they were still only just under 1 and I could just about by sheer luck manage to dive onto the lead to catch her she would've been squashed by a car no doubt and my heart would have broken.

There is no way I can ever let them off the lead, they have no road sense or anything whatsoever. I don't trust extendable leads as they just look like they will snap to me and I worry I won't get to my dog in time if another dog goes for them. (A pitbull had both my dogs in his mouth Christmas Eve and I am extremely anxious in general now about being outside with my dogs. )

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Do they listen to you indoors?
    Have you done any training indoors?

Because if they don’t pay much attention there then they certainly won’t outside.

There’s a knack to using an extendable (flexi) type lead and you should easily be able to ‘reel in’ a little dog.

Maybe look at having a one to one session with a trainer, when you can, to help with your confidence as well.

Sairy, Torin., Sarah H and 2 others like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

With littermates, it is really important to train them seperately from the start to get them really looking to you and not to each other. This means attending 2 lots of training classes, walking them separately, and playing with them separately many times during those early months.

If this has not been done, then your dogs will by now have a firmly established habit of looking to each other.

I expect you will be able to turn this around with a lot of hard work, but you are likely going to need the help of a trainer now which wont be possible for a few weeks or months yet.

As Linda says, if they dont listen to you indoors, they definitely won't out of doors. Always train seperately. You could start some recall training indoors.

As for leads - why not just use an ordinary lead if you are worried about a flexi? You could use a walking belt and then there will be no chance of dropping the leads.

Flexi brand leads are very strong. Never get a corded extendable, only the tape. And dont skimp on the price. I also agree with linda that a one to one session could help build your confidence. If you walk your dogs separately, they will be easier to manage for you and also you will have a better chance of transferring the indoor recall outdoors.

When you get your confidence back up, and your dogs are listening to you, start walking them together again.

Separate walks now and again though are always good so that your dogs can manage independently and arent reliant on each other. You will need to put a lot of work in on this though, if your dogs have never been apart.

Torin., Sarah H, Burrowzig and 2 others like this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Other things to try are hiring a secure, enclosed space such as a tennis court, and letting one dog off at a time to see what happens. It's quite likely that neither would run off without the other.

tabelmabel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice