Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can my cat smell the change in hormones?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Bellini, May 10, 2010.

1. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

I am 10 weeks pregnant and my Millie has gone strange...

First of all she's gotten really clingy at nighttimes. Once we went to bed before I was PG she used to wander round the house and either end up sleeping on our bed or on the sofa in our conservatory (or having an all night cat party!).

I normally wake to find her snuggled up to me or at my feet but the last 2 nights she's snuggled in when we've gone up to bed and actually bummed herself across the bed so she's literally next to me under the covers stretched out like lady muck and I have no room! Even if I chuck her off she sneaks back!

Also this morning MrB came down to find a dead sparrow in the kitchen - our first present.

Niicccccccceeeeeeeee

Wonder if she's sensing the change in hormones?

2. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

I know dogs go doolaly for abit when people are pregnant, so guessing its true for cats aswell. I dont remember how my cats were when I became pregnant tbh. But if it was something mega I would have remembered!

At least its not that she is pooing everywhere like the dogs did when I was living with my friend!!! Didnt know what it was all about, until I realised I was pregnant!

3. Simba9952

Simba9952 PetForums Member

Hi, cats can detect hormonal changes in us humans. Their sense of smell is much, much better than ours. My friend is in the last stages of pregnancy and said her cats behavior began returning to normal after 3-4 months. I don't think it's the same in every situation, but time is probably the key here.
    Congratulations by the way :thumbup:

4. ackackack

ackackack PetForums Junior

some cats are very sensitive to hormonal changes!
    my female cat follows me around like a maniac during my period!
    she wants to be around me 24/7, she's even on my shoulder when cooking...

5. serenitylove

serenitylove PetForums Member

my cats are all being a bit weird still at mo and im 18wks preg so you could be thinking right about the hormone thing

6. Spudmols

Spudmols PetForums Member

i know this may not be hormonal but if i am upset my cats will just come and sit with me until i feel better.

Also as well i have epilepsy and if i have a seizure my cats will stay and sit with me until my partner is with me.

Normally one cat will sit with me and the other one will run and see where my partner is to let him know, if he has not heard me have one.

the other day i had one and i was home alone and then molly heard my partner come home ran to him and then ran up to where i was to let him know.

I beleive they do know things

7. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

Absoloutly! Just wait until the cat starts to sleep on your bump and play pattacake through your tummy with your baby!

8. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Hehe, me and Shelley were living at my mum and dads house when she was pregnant and Pushkin (big black tom, a stray i started feeding years earlier who adopted us! :D) used to always curl up on Shelleys bump...wonder if its fate that Michael now loves cats himself?.
    :D

9. bekki_s

bekki_s Banned

My kitten Eli is obsessed with m stomach, i'm 16 weeks pregnant, and he loves looking, touching and laying on my stomach! i think he likes to think he's not the only baby in the house.
    I also got 2 other kittens today and while my OH is flat out these 2 are curled up right next to my stomach, 1 of them keeps miowing at my stomach which is a bit wierd. All day they have been avoiding us and running away, but now they won't leave my stomach alone!!
    I like to think there protecting the baby like Eli does, he won't let my OH go near my stomach with out a fight

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice