Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can I train a kitten not to pee at night?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Witchyleaf, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Witchyleaf

Witchyleaf PetForums Newbie

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on teaching a kitten to not go to the toilet at night.

I have a 10 week old female kitten, my first cat, and I’ve only had her for a week. She uses the hooded litter box whenever she needs to, even at night, but my boyfriend complains that it smells too much. (Changed litters, use spray and litter powder - since changing the brand of litter the odour is better but still bad overnight where it’s been left to sit when we’ve been sleeping). The smell of pee isn’t noticeable, but the poo is the worst.

We took the tray out of the room the other night, and she peed our bed. She used the tray just before we removed it and went to sleep. She’s scared of the house dog, (a friendly dog, loves cats but they still need more introducing) and we have other tenants so she can’t roam around at night and use the litter box if it’s in the bathroom.

Is there any way I can remove the litter tray at night without her doing her business around the bedroom? Or will it just be a case of being consistent, taking the box away and cleaning up any mess she makes until she doesn’t do it anymore?

My boyfriend wants to lock her away at night in the kitchen in one of those fabric carrier/sleep things (it’s about a metre long) with a small box inside so she can go to the toilet if she needs to but I’m not happy with that at all - she’s still full of energy and it’s not nice being so small with a sensitive nose being in such a small space with a dirty tray all night.

I’m not sure the best way to toilet train her at night, and I’m not sure how well kittens accept rewards for good behaviour. I want her to be comfortable and happy, and for both me and my partner to be too but I don’t know the best way to go about it.

I’ve tried telling my boyfriend she’s a baby, and if she needs the toilet then she needs to go but he’s still adamant she can learn to hold it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Thank you for all comments, I’ll make sure she keeps the tray throughout the night!

#1 Witchyleaf, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Pixie_Tinker_Bell and Soozi like this.
  2. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Short answer? No.

Honestly I really doubt it and you’re lucky you’re only thinking about overnight wees at this point!!!

I’m also surprised the smell of the wee bothers you/him so much, I really don’t notice Joey’s at all. We use a litter called Felipure which is genuinely brilliant at covering odour and it clumps the wees so well so I can recommend trying it.

Otherwise... well, unfortunately the reality is that kittens are at times annoyingly attention seeking, they make smells, at times it feels like they eat constantly, they make noise and they turn your life upside down in many ways. Joey is now 9 months old and we have finally had a run of four nights where he hasn’t woken me between midnight and 4am..

It’s hard going, but incredibly rewarding. Your life isn’t going to be the same anymore.

Could your boyfriend sleep in the kitchen :D

3. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Senior

My kitten a few times though the night. I don’t see how it would possible to train her not to.

I have a litter tray in the suite. She never poops I. It - just pee. I never get any smells. I use a hooded litter tray and catsan litter. Change and dissinfect the tray once a week.

Now that she is bigger I have started using clumping litter. It’s great. No smells at all and I remove the pee lumps every day.

4. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Oh yes good point - we didn’t move to Felipure until I was 100% sure Joey wasn’t interested in sampling his litter

5. Witchyleaf

Witchyleaf PetForums Newbie

At least if my boyfriend slept in the kitchen he wouldn’t keep stealing the sheets! :)

cheekyscrip and LeArthur like this.
  6. Dumpling

Dumpling PetForums VIP

No, it would be unkind to remove her tray and you would likely end up with her peeing in other places in the room. A good clumping litter should help with the smell a lot. I would personally use a wood based litter such as cats best oko or worlds best, clay litters don't tend to be recommended for kittens if I recall correctly as it's not great it they ingest some!

With regards to poo smells, what do you feed her? If she is on dry or wet with things like grains in, it can make poo very stinky. A raw diet is best for minimising poo smells, but a good quality wet food helps a lot too!

7. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

I agree with everyone about not removing her litter tray and making sure she has better food to minimise the poo. You might also find that as she gets a bigger she might go to the loo less anyway. Her organs will be bigger and she possibly won't be eating as much as she will when she's an adult.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  8. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Apologies just realised I misunderstand the pee/poo smell thing. Food definitely has a massive impact on the smell of stool (as does any illness/worms/parasites and the like). Joey used to have really smelly poos but he wasn't well. He's brilliant now. One poo a day and it hardly smells, good form, and again the litter does really cover the smell.

If you took her tray away she would get very stressed if she needed to go, and she would use the floor, not to upset you or be naughty, but because she needed to use the toilet.

Eventually she should get into a routine of going once per day, which with a bit of luck will be during the day. But you can't change that in her anymore than you can change it in yourself ;)

Soozi, Lurcherlad, LeArthur and 2 others like this.
  9. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I’m so sorry to be harsh but there is no way you can stop or train your kitten from weeing in the night! Think how you or your or your boyfriend would feel if you desperately wanted a wee during the night and your bladder was bursting! I hate to burst your bubble but even when she’s an adult she will still often want a wee in the night, time won’t change that.

10. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

Animals wee when they need to. You can't train an animal to go to the toilet when it suits you.

11. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

The short answer is no.

Your kitten is very much a baby, and you should be happy she is toilet-trained and will go in a covered litter tray. Many cats don't even like covered trays. Would you expect a human baby or young toddler to go all night without wetting a nappy or needing a wee? Or would you expect your boyfriend to wait if he needed to go and was desperate?

You simply cannot train a cat or kitten to not go to the toilet a certain times, certainly not for several hours. She wee'd on your bed simply because her tray was moved and she was anxious.
    When you choose to become a kitten or cat guardian, a litter tray is the reality. And if you live in a shared house where the litter tray can only be in one place, ie: your bedroom, it's just tough luck. Your kitten can't go out at such a young age, and if you continue to keep her indoors, she will need the toilet inside. Unless you can put the litter tray elsewhere, you have to understand that she will go in it when she needs to.

Some foods stink more than others when they come out the bottom end. And some litters are better than others at covering odours.

12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

A cat or kitten forced to hold her urine will soon develop urinary tract infections and kidney infections. Not only are these expensive to treat, they can be extremely painful for the cat.

Holding her poop will also lead to health issues. Chronic constipation and mega colon to name two.

A kitten/cat needs to be able to pee and poop whenever she needs to do it.

Just remove the litter box from the bedroom. Keep it clean. Don't use sprays or scented litter, that just makes things worse, and may create a litter box aversion.

Feed your kitten good quality wet foods, the less junk in the food the less the poop and pee will smell. Avoid grains and gums and artificial flavorings and dyes. Adding a probiotic can help, too, as she adjusts to any diet changes.

Make sure she is healthy and not carrying a worm burden.

Calvine, Soozi, MissMiloKitty and 2 others like this.
  13. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Completely agree with this. Also it doesn't sound like a very good situation for a young kitten, what with a shared house and dog. You must seriously improve the living conditions to suit a young kitten or consider rehoming to somewhere more suitable.

Pinto, Calvine, Dumpling and 6 others like this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

PS If you feed your kitten a raw diet, the poop won't smell at all.

MissMiloKitty likes this.
  15. crystalwitch

crystalwitch PetForums Member

Same as everyone else says really. She needs her litter box to be available 24/7. In your position, I'd relocate the boyfriend! Or buy him a peg for his nose!

16. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

That’s exactly what my OH said! Lol!

17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

And mine too, LOL :D

crystalwitch, TriTri and Soozi like this.
  18. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

I wish I could train myself not to pee at night!

19. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

My two are a year old and rarely use their tray during the night, but it will always be available if they need it. I have to go a couple of times every night, can't imagine not being allowed to go when I need to.

crystalwitch, chillminx and Soozi like this.
  20. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

. . . or ''burst your bladder'', as the case may be.

One hopes he never becomes a father and expects his baby to pee at convenient times.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice