UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Should we get a puppy?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

Can I still get a puppy even tho I have a aggressive cat?

398 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Wiz201 
#1 ·
My family has been wanting to adopt a puppy for quite awhile now but we are scared to do so because we are worried that our cat may not get on with the puppy or attack and injure it. Our cat is 4 years old and is a house cat. She is very friendly with us but whenever someone comes to boat she hisses and attacks them if they try and touch her. We don't want to get a puppy if it is going to hurt either our cat or the new puppy. Would really appreciate some advice on this as we would really like to adopt a new puppy and would really like the two to gwThanks.

#2 ·
It can work but it may not be easy.... depending on your set up and providing that you are willing to accept that they may never get on and have to be kept separate (proving you can accommodate this of course). We have one of these anti-social cats and I knew she would hate the puppy when we got Rudy - and she did.... and still does! For us it works as we have a fairly large house: The cat has the run of the top floor, stairs, hallway and basement (she's an indoor cat too although she will sometimes come and sit on the front step if I am in the garden), the dog has the run of the ground floor. They have no need to interact or even be on the same room ever and it is clear that Tillie (the cat) has no desire to....We kept them separate from the word go tbh as I was worried she would hurt the pup so that is something for you to think about. So really it depends on your set up and your expectations. If you live on a boat however that may be tricky to manage...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.