Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can I pick up taming the hamster where my daughter left off?

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Cookiepie, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Cookiepie

Cookiepie PetForums Newbie

The hamster was bought at Christmas nearly 3 weeks ago, it's a baby Syrian Male. cookie has only ever had my 9 year olds hand in the cage. We have got him to the stage where he is ok with her feeding him food between fingers and he has taken from her palm once and hes fine with her stroking down his back, so far so good! To get him to this stage she has had a couple nibbles, and 1 big bite where he drew blood- that was wen he took from her palm. Sinse then she dosnt want to do any more tho shes extremely dissapointed as shes desperate 2 hav a trusting friendship with him and hav him love her and let her hold him eventually.
    Can i take over? Will my scent confuse him as well as hers? If I start the taming process again from the start but with my hand instead of hers will we get there in the end? The most important question- Once hes tame with me will he be tame with my daughter?

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Your daughter probably scared the hamster or ignored the hamsters signals to stop which is easily done. Nothing against your daughter. I've been bit several times and it's not nice. Maybe get some thick gardening gloves to allow her to handle the hamster without the worry of bites.

You will be a new smell so he will need to learn to trust you but he won't forget your daughters smell.

It's normal to take a step back. Leave the hamster to chill out for a few days then go back to getting him use to you. Speak to him. Get some tissue and keep it on you all day then put it in the cage. Use treats and patience.

Can I see the set up? Sometimes hamsters can be stressed in small environment making bites more likely.

Please tell your daughter that it's ok. He was just scared and can't tell her he's not happy. He doesn't hate her.

There's also plenty of things that she can do to help care for him without touching. So she can still feel like she's able to care for him minus the fear of handling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice