Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can I leave my 8 week old rescue kitten at home alone while I’m at work?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kyaviana, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Kyaviana

Kyaviana PetForums Newbie

Hello! I’m a brand new kitten owner, I rescued an 8 week old stray/feral kitten from inside the wheel well of my car about a week and a half ago. When I first rescued him, he was terrified, hungry and meowing a lot so I stayed home with him for three days.

But I can’t stay home forever, so this week I’ve been leaving him alone in my kitten proofed bedroom while I work (9-5). It’s the master, so it’s quite large and he has plenty of room to sprint around, toys to play with, big litter box and I leave him a full fresh dish of water, come home twice a day to feed him and pet him briefly. He has plenty of toys and hasn’t seemed starved for attention when I come back home. Mostly he seems to nap while I’m away and plays with his toys (not me) when I’m back home. I also get up around 5AM so that I can spend about 3 hours in the morning cuddling and playing with him.

So I guess my question is, is this okay to do? I don’t want to accidentally harm him or his development but I have to work. He’s a rescue and I love him very much, but he came as a surprise into my life so I haven’t had the time to kitten proof the whole house for him to roam, ask for vacation/time off etc.

Any other advice would be much appreciated too!! Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

Sacremist likes this.
  2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Since you are coming home twice during that span to feed and pay attention to him I would say you are doing fine. Be sure to play games with him before you leave in the morning and at night too of course. And you let him sleep with you as well?

You're giving him lots of wet food?

You can get a timed feeder also, for the food if you want to feed him more often than you can come home, but he will quickly get used to your schedule.

Have you given any thought to getting another and raising them together?

PS Congratulations on being Chosen!

ewelsh, Kyaviana, Soozi and 3 others like this.
  3. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

He's gorgeous!
    What you are doing sounds fine, he's safe and well cared for. As Lorelei says it would be great if he had a feline companion, but even without I'm sure he'll thrive.

Kyaviana and Babyshoes like this.
  4. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

You are doing just fine. If he hadn't found you then he would be still living outside or worse.

Kyaviana likes this.
  5. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Member

When my kitten was that age I too had to work. My parents called in every day to feed and play with her. I think as long as he isn’t alone for more than four hours at a time he will be fine.

Sounds like you are doing a great job!! Don’t let him nibble your fingers though. I thought this was incredibly cute when Scout was eight weeks old. Those teeth get sharp though!

lorilu likes this.
  6. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome! He’s just adorable! It sounds like for a first time cat slave you are doing great! Agree with lorilou! Good advice. You will need to get him a vet check they will explain what he needs and when. Get him used to trimming his claws they are like needles and can get caught up in furnishings and carpet! Love to see more pics of him! What have you called him?

7. Kyaviana

Hi everyone! Thank you for all the advice and good wishes, I really appreciate it! I don’t think I can afford to get him another feline companion right now but next week I’m going to start working 9-3 so I can spend more time with him :)

lorilu and ewelsh like this.
  8. Kyaviana

Thank you for the advice! I took him to the vet already! He took his first vaccination shot like a champ! I haven’t named him yet, I’m waiting for a great name to come to me

Soozi, bluecordelia and lorilu like this.
  9. Kyaviana

Attached Files:

10. Kyaviana

Haha thank you!! I do think it’s incredibly cute that he nibbles my fingers but as he’s gotten more comfortable he’s also definitely gotten more ferocious in his play fighting!

Scouttie and Soozi like this.
  11. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

It’s only my opinion but I think your kitten will be perfectly fine on his own. Not all couplings work out well at all. So don’t think he needs a playmate plenty of interactive toys and playtimes with you will I’m sure keep him very happy. Cats spend a lot of time sleeping which is probably what he will do while you are at work. Good luck. :)
    Have a think about getting him insured too!

buffie likes this.
  12. Kyaviana

Thank you! I just want to give him the best possible life since he adopted me

13. Kyaviana

Thank you!!

Scouttie and Soozi like this.
  14. Kyaviana

Thank you for such thorough advice!! In the morning I cuddle with him and play games! At night he doesn’t seem to want to play with me! He runs around and plays with toys instead (chases his tail).

He has free range of my room, he sleeps in bed with me sometimes! But mostly he seems to like to curl up in a corner I made for him with a pillow. Maybe he’s afraid I’ll crush him hahaha

I feed him wet food 4 times a day! He has a little dish of kibble to nibble on if he gets hungry but he doesn’t seem to like it very much!

I can’t get another kitty as much as I would like to, I think it would get to be too much!

Gallifreyangirl and Soozi like this.
  15. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

He is adorable.

He is loved, safe, cared for, when you are with him he has quality time with you.

Lovely.

Soozi likes this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You are very wise, and he will certainly let you know what his name is. x

Soozi and MissMiloKitty like this.
  17. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Well done for helping him and getting advice. He will need spaying at some point as you don’t want Tom cat wee in your house!

Give him a cardboard box. Cats love boxes and a few silver foil balls toys. Let us know his name when it is chosen.

Soozi likes this.
  18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Cardboard box, great idea!

Please do not give your kitten balled up tinfoil. This is not an appropriate toy for kittens or cats, and carries a lot of danger. Pieces being broken off and ingested or cutting the mouth to name two. There are so many other safer choices. A crumpled paper ball for instance is just as fun, makes crinkly noises and can be safely shredded with sharp teeth or kicked to pieces.

Soozi and MissMiloKitty like this.
  19. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

He's gorgeous, would love a few more photos! Sounds like he's doing fine, and if you have any questions just ask on here.

You mentioned giving him some dry - that's not totally ideal as cats don't have a high thirst drive and can become slightly dehydrated, which over time damages their kidneys. Of course it won't do any harm in the short term if it's a small part of his diet, and of course it can be useful if you need to leave food down. Ideally though, you want him eating mostly good quality wet food, or better yet a complete raw diet. You'll need to find a balance that works for both him and your lifestyle - I do a varied mix for my boys, with a tiny bit of dry occasionally if I'm going to be out very late. Have a look at the food section - it can get confusing but there is a lot of information about what to look for nutritionally so you can make an informed decision about food.

Perhaps we can help you find the right name for him? I think he looks like a "Smokey"!

Soozi likes this.
  20. Pinto

Pinto PetForums Member

I agree with the others he certainly picked the right car to to hide in.

Soozi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice