UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking at some border collies and after reading a post on here where health visitor was nasty to someone who hadn't walked their dogs it reminded me of when I was snowed in for 2 weeks and felt so guilty I couldn't get Inca out due to 8" snow up drive and icy road my mobility scooter just couldn't get up the road! (I did try!)

When I was growing up we had dogs and they got walked 3 times a day religiously, in really bad weather they'd get at least 2, so I grew up thinking that was normal and have to admit I was surprised to find some people only walked their dogs once or twice a week.

In bad weather I try and get Inca out at least once even if have to wait till afternoon for things to defrost a bit. Even when it's meant me literally having to go down middle of road on scooter and Inca on the pavement to left of me (too far for her to be on lead but luckily I can trust her off lead) ..probably dangerous, luckily I'm in a village and most people are out at work/school at that time.. but I think growing up thinking a dog needed 2-3 a walks a day makes me think I'm neglecting her if she doesn't get at least one!

Someone said on here to not be mislead into thinking a breed like Jack Russell wouldn't need as much exercise as a Border Collie or something,as I was originally considering a much smaller breed than I'm used to. Thinking a small dog would only need one short walk a day and match Inca's exercise needs as she got older.

But I don't get out much, my dog is my life and my luxury item in life so thinking of going for the breed I've wanted to own for years (pedigree Border Collie) in case it's the last dog I get chance to bring up from a puppy.

The first winter its gonna be young and not need as much heavy walking but when he's fully grown (and fully trained/mentally stimulated) is it really gonna have a negative effect on him if I can't get out for 1-2 weeks a year due to been snowed in? ..after all they are bred to be out in all weathers running miles herding sheep every day!

He'd have access to a fully fenced off garden if he wanted to play out in snow safely for a bit. I'm not so much worried about Inca as she's heading for 12yrs and doesn't like walking on icy snow anyway when its gone all hard and lumpy...is a young active male gonna go stir crazy though been cooped inside for so long, without his usual 2 walks a day? (tbh I was climbing the walls a bit myself and desperate to get out after 2 weeks!)..even though we don't go far, I get a break from these four walls at least once everyday.

For most days would 1 and half-2 hours walk/ free run be enough for a young collie? ...and whatever I can manage through winter ..at least one short walk a day 45 mins (depends how freezing temps are cos batteries really struggle if still minus temps in middle of the day so even short walk drains battery really quick!)

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
I have got an idea!

How big is your garden?
You could play fetch with your dog in the snow so it would get exercise that way. You could use a 'ball thrower thing' :eek: so you wouldn't have to bend down to pick it up :)

Jack Russells are active little dogs, not sure how active compared to a Collie though, as haven't had either breed (unfortunatly)!

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have actually forked out for the GoDogGo remote ball launcher and that will launch across garden but it's gonna be her xmas present so she has it when we're snowed in after xmas. (they will share it when he's old enough to play with it too) My hall is long enough to launch ball down on shortest length.

We don't have a chuckit as Inca not interested in them but I could get him one.

I did think of under car porch which stays snow free but it says in instructions of ball launcher not to use it outside in freezing or wet weather. I did think of getting a little micro scooter and teaching him to ride it under the car porch or up and down hall like Norman the Scooter dog...lol! :laugh:

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 2 Collies do get a lot of exercise, some days more than others.I think if you train it well from a pup so that it can be safely off lead. I wouldnt like to keep a collie on lead all the time.Also if you spend time indoors training this will help as i feel a Collie needs to be tired mentally too.After traing classes our 2 are totally zonked!!
this is them after class last nite lol

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Greeeeeyyyyyyyyhooouuuuuunds :) generally speaking they are extremely lazy buggers and there and PLENTY needing really good homes :)
OP was after a small dog that could ride on her scooter I think :laugh:. Mind you....pointies will fit on laps any which way so........

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Greeeeeyyyyyyyyhooouuuuuunds :) generally speaking they are extremely lazy buggers and there and PLENTY needing really good homes :)
Maybe not up to much as assistance dogs though?

Really, I wouldn't worry about it, just do what you can as and when it arises. As your collie will be working as an assistance dog, he will get plenty of mental work just doing that. You can add in trick training too, and he can play in the garden. Border Collies (working ones) might spend all day herding sheep, but the vast majority don't. For one thing, sheep don't normally need herding every day - just every week or so to move them onto fresh grazing. Most farm collies spend nearly all their time tied out or kennelled. As you're going for a pedigree BC, it is more likely to be less 'worky' than a farm dog. And you might not even get snowed in!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Aww, they're not the brightest dogs but they could be trained, but my boy is a PAT dog and my own (unregistered) mental health dog :001_wub: He might dribble and bump into doorways with his big bum but he tries ^.^

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
lol! ..yeah if I'm gonna stick with another bigger breed it's gonna be my dream collie.

I did think of smaller dog that wouldn't need as much exercise but they would also not be able to do as much physically for me if I needed more help. With the way the benefits system is going a dog that will help me get dressed/undressed and help around house as much as possible, instead of having to find wages for PA's will save me a fortune as well as keeping my independence and dignity for much longer!

He won't be short of mental stimulation he'll have a full time job as my helper.
I wasn't sure if that would be enough though knowing how physical and super active this breed usually is.

The snow does seem to be getting more frequent up here, used to be too cold most of time but last two winters we've had 6-8" of snow around here after not having that depth of snow for years. wasn't as bad last year think we had it a bit before xmas and then another week after so more broken up.

I think I'm gonna put a bit each month into a savings account for him to cover extra's like needing a dog walker when it's really bad, make sure have enough for insurance etc. I've got housing coming tomorrow about the new second bedroom rule! though they moved me here for more room for medical equipment and sleepover room now they want to charge me £14 a week extra rent cos I'm single person in 2 bed bungalow!

G

·
I think I have the most laziest Border Collie ever and he is Working type:laugh:
On walks he is very active. Likes to chase a ball. Run about, loves training exercises but once he is indoors he is the most laziest thing and will sleep all day if he could. He is only 3 as well. I personally think that exercises that tire the brain is more beneficial to a BC than walks. I don't think it's even possible to tire a BC on a normal walk - Normal walk for me is 20 mins lead walking 1 hr off lead. 15 minutes of obedience is more tiresome and fulfilling for them so I don't personally think it would be a problem.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
JRTs are essentially a working hunt terrier so would need a plenty of exercise. There are small dogs who don't require as much exercise as a JRT. Size is not really relevant to exercise requirements which really go more on what the dog is bred for.

They don't do very well in pet home where they are not exercised or mentally stimulated enough. However, as you want a service dog and are willing to train it yourself I wouldn't rule out a JRT. They are quite easy to train and they need a job to do. You could wear one out physically and mentally by helping you round the house and doing shopping etc :)

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
If the dog is going to be trained as an assistance dog I think all the mental stimulation will help tire him out :D also as you do take your dog out every day when you can that's more than alot of dogs/collies get. You won't be the only person unable to get thier dogs out for long due to being snowed in either so don't let the weather be something to put you off, you can get interaction toys and play in the garden and keep the dog busy in other ways

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My worry for smaller breed was keeping up with scooter too. I figured they may need more rides, just in getting to the playing fields for example country lane into next village there's no pavement to left of me and on right can't get on it until half way down the road.

I also tend to need to be going a bit quicker with cars behind me, to next spot I can pull in if also another coming the other way. As Inca's big she can be seen easily at the side of me (and wears a reflective jacket) and can easily keep up with it. I can be doing quicker than walking pace the whole way down that road. ..I guess more like a person going jogging with their dog or a bike ride.

If I was starting with a really young pup he'd learn 'ride' and 'still' first so he can stay on footplate for safety until he's both old enough to keep up (on road where I have to move quicker) and big enough to be seen clearly at side of me also wearing reflective jacket.

As Inca gets older and starts struggling with keeping up pace for so long I intend to get a bike trailer and just need a bracket making to adapt it to fit on back of mobility scooter. Then she doesn't have to be left behind she can get a ride to field or lake and get out once there and potter about safely off-lead with him! :D

The handy thing with Inca been so reliable off-lead and us having some much wider pavements in area's is she will walk alongside whilst I have JJ on other side on harness/lead teaching him to heel and pace with scooter and don't have to worry about juggling two extending leads and trying to steer! (one of them can go on footplate to get over busiest roads).

I'm thinking of the perfect fit harness for him, and though Inca doesn't really need one I was thinking she could have one and then use some kind of two lead adapter to clip them together (at same place if they both got harnesses on).

Anyone know where I can find a two lead adapter to connect two harnessess to one lead? ..it maybe easier for him to learn 'pace' if Inca is on the other side of him and to match his stride to her than my scooter speed to start with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.