Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Can I just ask a quick question?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by vivien, May 16, 2019 at 5:10 PM.

1. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Simba went for his post op check at the vets. We put in our claim form for Petplan, and the receptionist said we will have to pay £7-50 for them to fill it out??? We have never had to do this before the new company took our vets over. She then went on to say that if we wanted them to do a direct claim it will be £35. We know there is an admin fee for direct claims but there are a lot of strange things happening since the new company has taken over. Has this happened to anyone else? I am off for a while to feed the furries but I would be interested to know your thoughts on this.

Viv xx

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I have never had to pay anything when claiming for Meekos Pet Plan insurance ,I just hand the form over to the receptionist with the relevant bits filled in and signed IE Policy Number /Name /Address / existing condition or new condition and they do the rest.
    I have always paid "up front" and claimed back so don't know how much if anything they would charge for a direct to vet claim.
    When Meeko went to the Dick Vet Hospital for his referral appointment they claimed direct from Pet Plan and did charge a fee but I cant remember what it was but it was probably similar to what your vet has quoted.

3. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

It’s the back part the vet has to fill in. We have claimed quite a few times with Yogi and never been charged before. Crazy world we live in.

Viv xx

4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I paid my vet upfront. Signed the slip, vets did everything else! Within a few days, Petplan refunded me, less the excess.

AshJack likes this.
  5. AshJack

AshJack PetForums Junior

I’m on PetPlan with both my two, never ever had to pay, if anything was assured by pet plan and the vet at the time that it was a normal process for them.

6. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I think it’s the new company that took over the vet trying to earn a bit out of filling in the back of the form.

Viv xx

7. 3moggies

3moggies PetForums Junior

I’ve never paid a fee for them to fill in the claim, only the excess.

Must be the new company’s policy

8. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Hmmmm I hope not. We are only staying there because we trust Kevin. He was the only vet that recognised Yogi had a neurological problem and saved his life. We have had several claim forms in for Yogi, as his treatment is for life, and we haven’t been charged. I don’t know what is going on. When hubby questioned the receptionist and said about Yogi, she said she didn’t know why we hadn’t been charged before.

Viv xx

AshJack likes this.
  9. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Yes some vets will charge you if you give them a form to fill in, particularly the large groups such as VetsNow or referral centres. It is best to pay the vet and claim the money back from the insurance rather than do direct claims at these sort of practices.

Torin., AmsMam and lullabydream like this.
  10. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat PetForums Senior

The emergency vet wanted £20 off me for the "admin" of filling in a claim form

11. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

:eek: Wow that is a lot of money when you probably paid extra for the emergency vet.

Viv xx

12. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Yes I thInk this new company is one of those referral vets as there are three of them and each one has different specialties.

Viv xx

13. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

I am insured with Animal Friends and my vets is at a Vets4Pets. When Teddy was so unwell last year I paid everything up front then claimed it back, and they stated that there was an admin charge of £15 for completing the form and releasing the records.

14. KCTT

KCTT PetForums VIP

My day to day vets don’t charge but when I was referred to University of Liverpool they had a £15 admin fee for them to deal directly with the insurance. I don’t object to paying as it makes life easier for them to deal with it not me.

15. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

Yes when my dog went to a referral practice. We paid them instead and claimed from petplan, it didn't seem much different than if we got them to claim in terms of form filling for both of us.

16. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat PetForums Senior

£170 I think!

17. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Vets Now has always charged me an admin fee for filling out the vet part of my insurance claim form. The admin charge as I recall is about £13.50. Pet Plan do not reimburse me for the admin charges.

I don't believe my regular vet has ever charged me an admin fee...

vivien likes this.
  19. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

I thought we were expected to pay the excess only for a younger cat and 20% towards treatment with an older cat.
    I've never had to claim on insurance and admin fees is news to me.

vivien likes this.
  20. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Outrageous.

vivien likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice