Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

can i have some opinions please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bertlovesedi, Apr 24, 2011.

1. bertlovesedi

bertlovesedi PetForums Member

Hi there. I have a hypothetical question about a dog with food guarding tendancies towards its owner. ( I don't have this problem, I overheard someone talking about it and I wondered what you thought) Dog stiffens up, growls, as owner approaches bowl, so owner takes bowl of him briefly. At the next meal, the owner does it again, ignoring the stiffening and growling so the dog snaps at the owner, owner smacks dog and so it goes on and on until the food guarding is a major problem. How would you deal with this. Thank you.

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have experience with food agression to humans...
    I would not put down a dish of food, but I would hand feed for a week.
    Then I would put down an empty dish.
    When the dog looks at me I put a small handfull of dry food into the dish.
    I won't put any more food in the dish until the dog looks at me. Until he's had all of his dinner.
    Continue this for a week or so, depending on the dogs body language.

When I can see that he is comfortable with how close I am to his dish, I would put a larger handfull down, and while he is eating, add a small handfull of something realy tasty like hotdogs to the dish. If he is unhappy with this then go back to adding a small handfull when he looks at me for another week or something.

The dog needs to know you provide the food, not take it away.

3. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

^^ Wot she said ^^

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I don't have experience of this problem, but do have a copy of 'Mine!' by Jean Donaldson which I would recommend as a good read. It has step - by - step programmes for dogs with guarding issues.

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

^^ very good book ^^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice