Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can i have some advice please?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by harley bear, Apr 13, 2011.

1. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

My oh has been with his new employer since before xmas, he was promised a pay rise in march....the fugures were discussed and were agreed BUT he hasnt had it, he heeps being fobbed off with if we meet targets you can have a bonus until we can afford the rise etc etc etc ANYWHOO there was supposed to be a review this month and low and behold hes not getting it again!:mad:
    My oh works his bloody arse off and deals with everything with no help, infact he does three peoples jobs.

oh wants to have a word with his boss and tell him that we are not managing on that wage and that if he doesnt get a rise soon he will have to look elsewhere. he is abit wary due to the current job climate but he doesnt think he will get the push for telling him.

My question is would you have a word or just leave it and plod along for a bit longer and just see what happens?

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I would start looking for a new job now without saying anything then when (if) he manages to get something else lined up he will have more bargaining power. I suppose it depends what industry he is in & whether there really is a likelihood of getting a better paid job.

He could also start building his case for why he deserves a rise, saying that you aren't managing probably won't make any odds to his employer but if he demonstrate to them how much business he brings them, how much money he has/can save them, etc then they will not want to lose him.

3. harley bear

Well when he was taken on it was with the understanding that after the probation period there would be a rise. His boss has already said to him that he cant believe he managed to find someone who was so organized and managed to keep on top of everything with no assistance and now he wont need another 2 members of staff, he also has constant emails of praise sent to him from customers he has managed to keep from going elsewhere.
    I just feel like hes being treated like crap. The only thing decent about the job is the hours.

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

It's horrible to feel you've been treated badly. I had that in a previous job, I was training people who were in junior positions who were being paid £8k more than me :mad: In the end I left & got a much better job.

He should keep all the emails & use them if he decides to build a case for requesting a rise. It may be that the company can't afford it, it may be that they are being sly, I suppose only he can know that.

My OH works in construction & a while ago site staff were working 12 hr days but only being paid for 10. They were told that if they didn't like it then they should leave but knew that jobs were scarce.

Maybe he should contact an agency to discuss what jobs are around & what pay scales are like to get more info

5. harley bear

Its a very difficult situation to be in, its like being stuck in a corner. I suppose we will just have to hold out a bit longer.

6. rona

rona Guest

Have a word with ACAS as to what his options are and what is the best way to handle the situation

Acas - Home

7. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

This is a really tricky situation to be in particulary in the economic climate we are in.

I would do as Cleo38 says look for something else and see what options are out there before 'confronting' the boss. Unfortuately it seems to be an 'employers' market rather than 'employees' at the minute.

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Cleo38 is right to say that he should at least look and see if there is anything else out there. I was brought up on the line "If you've got a job, you'll get a job" and have found it to be the case. And, it does give better bargaining power.

Does he have a contract and is there anything in it to say that a review would be given after the probationary period is up?

Employers know they currently have the upperhand and too many are now taking the p*ss - it sounds like your OH's are fully signed up members of that club.

9. harley bear

The reason its so frustrating is he likes the job and doesnt want to go elsewhere esp with having to go through the probation period again.
    I think hes just going to ride it out and see what happens in a few months, we shall see :rolleyes:

10. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

This has happened to a friend of mine - he hasnt had a pay rise for 2 years (neither have I but there again I work in the Public sector so no surprise there!) - friend used to have a bonus at xmas and an annual pay review - but work is very up and down at his place of employment - one month working 6 days a week for 5 days pay, next month working 4 days a week for 4 days pay (how does that work then?) - BUT friend knows that he is lucky to have a job a tthe moment so tries to keep his mouth shut.

Having said that he is training to be an HGV driver so at least he has an alternative.

It isn't a nice situation to be in - but tbh unless your hubby has another job lined up I would put up with it. How long is his probation period? Ha she completed it? Bear in mind that if he 'demands' a rise they could make his position untenable (sp)

Good luck

11. harley bear

He passed his probation months ago... the only real problem he has is he was told in no uncertain terms he would get a rise after three months and now they are just dragging their feet which is driving me crazy! But he will just have to put up and shut up i suppose:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice