UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look what I did today...

I'm quite chuffed :) I did get bitten hard once-blood everywhere but it looked worse than it was, and 2 more nips after that but little ones.He ended up washing himself and falling asleep.Had him out for about an hour :)He was making squeaking noises and little chirrupy noises.

PS Please ignore my gormless expressions in the photos LOL

G

·
Was he unhandled when you got him? He looks like he might be thinking he's happy to unpack the suitcases...

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was he unhandled when you got him? He looks like he might be thinking he's happy to unpack the suitcases...
The previous owner had him a year and he's NEVER been handled as he bites.I got him on Monday :)

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Awww I'm so pleased for you Both!
Your doing great with him. Eventually he'll realise your no threat. A little tip, when he bites you let out a high pitched eeeeeeeee and he should stop what he's doing asif to say whoah what was that. Tis what they do with there own kind when they get rough.

Also the noises you hear there not like pigeon noises are they?
This could indicate a respiratory infection something rats are prone to and would need a 14 day course of antibiotics.
Though it may be change in enviroment that could poss set him off.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it was a squeak.seemed to be when he got a bit scared.he did it a few times along with a little chirping noise and then would go quiet as I stroked him.I did a little eep when he bit me :)

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Sounds like you have everything in hand then.
If he keeps progressing like this and he gets hand tame you can take the nxt step towards introducing him slowly to your boys.
Is he near your other boys? I mean like is his cage near there's? So he can smell them. But not too close that he could grab them!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
His cage is currently on top of the other cage and quite often I have noticed Klaus at the bottom sniffing and one of the babies at the top of theirs also sniffing.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Put there cages side by side leaving a good 2-3 inches gap that way they'll be able to see and sniff each other better ;)

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Blade that is a big ask!!! When bitten my cry is more "oh f*** f***ety f*** you little b***er!!!"

But wow no you deserve a bucket load of stars. Often people will give up...but it is worth trying with rats. He might always be nervous...but I have a feeling you and him are going to have a special bond.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope so. He's such a nice boy. He got in my hood yesterday and went to sleep and was washing himself before that.so cute. I'll try and get a video of him today

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
He's got such a sweet little face. You are doing so well with him, keep up the good work :thumbup: I reckon you two will have such a strong bond.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was so nervous yesterday thinking he was going to attack me LOL

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Try and be confident I know easier said than done! But if your confident then he'll be at more ease.

And yes niki when I've been bitten in the past I've let out a few swear words or two. Lol

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He nipped again today-twice-but I went eep both times and left my hand there(it was one after the other) and he looked very confused.I still have him on me now :)He's crawling around in my hoodie :D He's currently sat on my shoulder chattering his teeth-is that good or bad?

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Teeth chattering can be a sign of anger or fear but is most usually extreme happiness, did his eyes bulge out when he was doing it? Im sending you 100 gold stars too, youre doing excellently with him and being braver than I would be :eek:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yep like that exactly! He did the eye thing before I got him out of the cage too.Couldn't see his eyes when he was on my shoulder.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
You have done a fab job with him in the short time that you have had him :) Poor boy really didn't have much going for him before hand not being handled for so long did he? :( You are doing great with him :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Blade that is a big ask!!! When bitten my cry is more "oh f*** f***ety f*** you little b***er!!!"

But wow no you deserve a bucket load of stars. Often people will give up...but it is worth trying with rats. He might always be nervous...but I have a feeling you and him are going to have a special bond.
Yup when I got bitten (more like attacked!!) all thoughts of making eeeeee noises went out the window! I managed to prise him from off my hand, place him back in his cage, close the door and then passed out!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.