Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

can i get my dog registered as a seizure alert dog

Discussion in 'Assistance Dogs' started by sophie-bonita, Jun 19, 2015.

1. sophie-bonita

sophie-bonita PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have multiple seizures daily and my beautiful poodle warns me for each oncoming seizure, she stares at me and then licks my hand, if I'm really not paying attention she'll even paw my leg or block my pathway. I cannot go many places or go too far but I was wondering if I could get her registered as a seizure alert dog as she does all the right things and does everything I need. I just want to be able to take her with me even around shops so I could have a little more freedom. does anyone know how I can get her registered please? I have seen they do register own dogs in America but can't find it in UK. she's 4.5yrs, not aggressive to people or dogs etc. would I need to get the good citizenship award first? I am too ill to go and get a dog already trained as they require me to go down to the centre which is not near me and train with a new dog for a while but they say they can't train a dog to alert only respond to a seizure, it seems silly to get a dog who can only respond when I have her who already alerts and is consistently getting it right. any help or advice would be very greatly appreciated.

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

3. sophie-bonita

sophie-bonita PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your help, I did email that charity but my poodle is just over the age limit they have set (3yrs) sadly.
    I don't know her exact age as she was rescued we've had her 3.5 yrs and she wasn't a puppy when we got her,
    vet said she might be a year old but not 100% sure.

4. AceOfSpades113

AceOfSpades113 PetForums Member

Hi Sophie! I know someone who were able to register their dog, he was six at the time so had passed the age limit to be put through the actual companies tests. I don't know exactly, but I know the dog had to go on to earn his CD award, hope that helps somehow!

5. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Unfortunately this is the only charity that belongs to Assistance Dogs UK.

Even more unfortunately there are some spurious companies in the UK which say they will provide you with such a dog which have had some unfortunate consequences.

In any event unless your belongs to one of the charities which make up AD UK you will be unable to take your dog into places where all dogs bar Assistance Dogs are excluded.

6. lolapuppy2

lolapuppy2 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I know this is an old thread but..

OT assistance dogs ARE legal and there is NO registration here in the UK. I must warn you is your dog good with all people, places,noises,smells sounds ect? Just having a task does NOT equal an assistance dog. It equals as a pet who has learned bad things happen when you smell like that. You need to train your dog to handle anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice