UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone i know i supposedly (according to them) banned from owning dogs since their last one injured a child. Apparently the dog was taken and pts and the owners banned.

But now they have a puppy, staff x rott, 7 weeks old, out walking with no vaccs.

Is there anyone i can ring to find out if they are actually banned?

Worst thing is im related to them!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
When I fostered a staffy she was taken to the vets to check her microchip & from that they found out the owners were banned so I would think the vets could tell u if u know their address

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
start by googling them, any court case would be reported and in the local papers archives. then contact the police and RSPCA with your concerns

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I fostered a staffy she was taken to the vets to check her microchip & from that they found out the owners were banned so I would think the vets could tell u if u know their address
I doubt they have ever taken a dog to the vets, they dont vaccinate and tbh probably wouldnt get treatment if is wasnt something very serious

·
Registered
564 Posts
Speak to your local dog wardens...they would know if this is the case.

You can search on the web your local magistrate and crown court their name and find out from the case notes. They may have only had a 1 yr ban and it has now elapsed......its extreme cases for a lifetime ban

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you thought about what will happen to the puppy if it turns out they are owning it illegally?
Im assuming it will be removed and rehomed if possible, but tbh pts would probably be a better option for it than the life its gunna have, in a couple of weeks they will be bored (especially as she is having a kid very soon), it wont get walked, no attention, abused if it does wrong. They arent good owners and have gone through multiple dogs because they dont bother training them

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Im assuming it will be removed and rehomed if possible, but tbh pts would probably be a better option for it than the life its gunna have, in a couple of weeks they will be bored (especially as she is having a kid very soon), it wont get walked, no attention, abused if it does wrong. They arent good owners and have gone through multiple dogs because they dont bother training them
The best thing you can do is have a word with the police and tell them you think they have been banned. If you are right, something might be done. I don't really know what else you can do.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Have you thought about what will happen to the puppy if it turns out they are owning it illegally?
Surely making sure bans for owning dogs need to be enforced. We always complain here on these forums at low punishments. Simply turning a blind eye as "puppy may be removed" will only add to the idea that it doesn't matter. Imagine if just a couple of times "X owner previously banned from owning dog jailed for purchasing puppy" came out as local headlines and the effect it could potentially have.

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
Would the puppy be PTS? It has done nothing wrong - it's the owners who are in the wrong!

I would suppose the dog would be given to the council, and if they operate a rehoming scheme or contact a rescue then the pup should be rehomed, especially as the dog is only a puppy and hopefully won't fall under BSL (although with that cross, there is a small possibility that it might, depending on the shape and size.)

I would definitely report it, it's not as though they deserve to have the puppy anyway! If it turns out that they haven't been banned, then at least you can put your mind at rest. Just a shame that the pup will then be stuck with them.

Also, how long ago was it that they claim to have been banned? The ban could have expired.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.