Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

can i feed my 7 week old pup raw diet ?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by eieio, Mar 25, 2008.

1. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

hi can anyone advise me. i am looking into the barf diet ,have orderd several books. i have a 7 week old gsd and wanted to know at what age can i feed her raw diet and what to start her off with . ? also i have read you can feed raw chicken carcases (wont they choke on the bones) as they are so small . ??:confused:

thanks for advise .

oh have also read to make sure all meat has been frozen and then defrosted before feeding is this for meat fresh from butchers too ?

thanks

2. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

You can feed a dog a raw diet from any age - my youngest Rott was weaned onto raw so came to me at 9 1/2 weeks full able to demolish chicken wings!! I would recommend that you buy a book called Give Your Dog A Bone by Dr Ian Billinghurst - you should get it on Amazon - it is like a BARF bible and will give you all the info you need - what to feed and why to feed it. Dogs are full equiped to eat raw bones - ie chicken carcasses, lamb ribs, beef ribs, chicken wings - the problems start when you try feeding dogs cooked bones - they can splinter and are also not easily digested. Best of luck - i'll never ever ever ever go back to feeding complete:D

3. nici

nici PetForums Senior

its is perfectly ok to start your little one on the barf diet, and as said before just do as much reading as possible on it, all the best with it. dont mix the to diets ie...comercial and raw

i feed mine on it and wean pups on it and would never go back to comercial food even my cresties are on it

4. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

Well i have given Ronnie her first raw chicken drum stick and charlie too , eddie did not want to know but oh my charlie who is 7 and never had raw meat just loved it and so did ronnie the lot demolished , im so pleased with myself , just have to get this sorted out now with Ronnie and her henia ( why cant things be simple) . my ook should be here tom give your dog a bone cant wait to get my head into it . thanks all for your advise . oh i am also picking up a chest freezer tom too, for all the dogs meat ( going to be getting meat from landywood food suppliers found it from this forum and looks good to me . ( oh and just have to try and get eddie to eat raw too ).

5. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Sometimes older dogs don't know what to do at first, my dog just kept poking at it with her nose, now she really tucks in.

6. AJ

AJ Guest

Same here, Milo has turned his nose up at a few new things, especially things I haven't cut up for him, but he eats it eventually as I just give it him again at his next meal and force him to figure it out. Once he's eaten something once though he's straight at it the next time no problems. Really seen a difference in him this week, loads more energy!!

We got a new pup yesterday, 14 weeks old and she's taken to it brilliantly, everything I've put down shes taken to straight away, and she was on dried food with the breeder.

Got another new one coming tomorrow morning, 8 weeks old, and will be putting him straight on a raw diet too.

I'm so pleased with the raw diet I'm going to start sending out information to our customers giving them advice on the benefits! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice