Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

can i express milk from my british bulldog

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by rosieposie, Feb 19, 2008.

1. rosieposie

rosieposie PetForums Newbie

hi al i need a little help from someone who has had experiene with british bulldogs as my dog had 5 pups last year she dident exceptthe pups so i had to hand feed them it was verytiring but they all survived i wa wondering if i bred my rosie again can i espress the milk from her and give it to the pups by bottle ??? and ideas pls

2. rosieposie

hi all i need a little help from someone who has had experiene with british bulldogs as my dog had 5 pups last year she dident except the pups so i had to hand feed them it was verytiring but they all survived i wa wondering if i bred my rosie again can i espress the milk from her and give it to the pups by bottle ??? and ideas pls

3. BlackCat

BlackCat PetForums Member

You could to some extent, certainly enough to get colostrum into the pups but supplementation is likely to be needed. However if she rejected the litter last time, chances are she will again-is it worth putting her through it?

4. rosieposie

hi and thanks the thing was she had 6 healthy pups which i had to hand rear them all by myself which was very tiring the only thing was thatRosie had milk dripping from herall the time i just wondererd if i could express the milk from herand give it t the pups my self ???

5. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

as blackcat says is it worth putting her through it if she rejected the pups the last time?
    and would you want to go through it again? as you said you found it very tiring.

6. nici

nici PetForums Senior

im affraid i have to agree with all the others on this one is it worth it.. :(
    there is a chance things will be dif this time, but it is a chance that you have to take, you should be able to get milk from her but it will need to be alot and if you dont have experiance you could make her sore, good luck with whatever you decide :)

7. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Hi there did she have a cerserian last time. How old was she last time to.

8. rosieposie

hi she was 3yrs old it was her first time and she had a c-section

9. BlackCat

BlackCat PetForums Member

Me neither I'm afraid. I think combined with both her caesarian and rejection of the litter means motherhood isn't really right for her.

10. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

When bitches have cersarians sometime they just dont take to the pupS. My friend had a Bichcon Frise and that had a cersarian and allwas well at the vets and when she got it home it killed the pups. So think you should give her a miss and count your blessings you had 6 pups last time. /good luck

11. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I personally wouldn't put her through the stress of having another caesarian section, but, I know people do :(

If you found it hard work last time with five puppies, just imagine if she had ten for you to rear? I know it's all very worthwhile in the end, but would you beable to cope if that was the case? Is it really something that you 'need' to put your bitch through, and yourself?

12. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

i thought it was about normal for a british bull dog to have a c-section and reject the pups thats one of the reasons why they are so highly priced!!!!!!

13. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

a lot of bulldogs give birth naturally. as far as i know some bulldog bitches dont make the best mothers.
    the high price is down to the fact that that there is a lot more involved in in the care of the bitches that just being bred and having a c section. it starts with the mating then the vet care and testing and so on and so forth.
    there is some brilliant people here that could give a better account of bulldog prices.
    i am not a breeder so its not something i could give a full account on.

14. Nicci

Nicci Guest

As far as I am aware even with the dogs that make brilliant mothers, there is still an awful lot of care involved, mothers have to be watched around the clock because they make the clumsiest of mothers, I've known breeders whom have left pups only to get squashed by the Dams, the stud fee's are not cheap, then you have the handling fee's (as Bulldog matings have to be assisted), then you have the care of the bitch, most end up on steriods after giving birth, then you have the task of keeping the puppies until they leave for their new homes and so forth :) Hope this helps :)

15. rosieposie

:)thanks all for all your advise
    regards to all

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice