Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can he run with me?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by PoisonGirl, Jun 22, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I am thinking about doing a bit of running, not alot to start off with, only a few mins as I am not really a runner.

Dave is nearly 6 months. Can he run with me along the path for like 2 minutes then walk 2 minutes then run 2 minutes then finish off walking? The path is not really tarmac it's more compacted soil from being used so much.

I'd do it with Dixie but she just thinks that because I am going a bit faster, she has to go even faster and it's just a fight to get her to heel.

I will be building up the running as I go on, but what will be best for Dave? I'd feel a bit of an idiot running on my own. Lol

x

2. Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie PetForums Member

You'll get varying opinions on this question! Many people believe that we should not be over exercising a dog (especially if it is a large breed dog). However, if you are just doing some short distance running I would have no problem with having your puppy come along. If he shows any reluctance then you know it is time to quit.

It is a good idea to stay away from repetitive jumping activities like agility until the growth plates are fully closed (18m - 2 years) but running should be fine.

Dr. Marie.
    Online Veterinary Advice

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Thanks. I didn't notice you had replied, sorry!

I took Dave out lastnight, and did a short run. When I stopped he looked at me as if to say 'why are you stopping?' He enjoys it and pays more attention to me than he does when walking!

I will only be taking him short runs as he is still young. He gets plenty of running about with his brother, he is very energetic.

x

4. Husky-Owner

Husky-Owner PetForums Member

I run with my boys but like you - only do a small stint at a time, I'm training them to do turns etc as i want to be able to hook them to my bike when they're old enough - need to invest in a full padded body suit though first i fear LOL :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice