Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can fur really weigh that much??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kimmikins, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Scrumpy had another hydro session today, and he's gained AGAIN :eek: He's up to 11.85kg from 11.7kg, even though I've been giving him decent walks at least three times a week (30+ mins, off lead) and we haven't been giving him too many treats. I've stopped giving him Markies when I go over, I give him a couple of the new Forthglade biscuits broken in half so he thinks he's getting more.

The thing is, he looks great! His tummy doesn't look as round and droopy...his willy used to look like it was about to drag on the floor and now it looks higher. And his legs feel quite muscly.

So, could it be because he's due for a groom? He's quite shaggy, he's overdue but his groomer is on holiday, so there's quite a lot of floof. The hydrotherapist said she has some bichons that would lose 500g after a groom!

Here's some pictures for making it all the way to the end :Happy

IMG_5796.JPG

IMG_5801.JPG

IMG_5800.JPG

Team_Trouble likes this.
  2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Personally putting that in perspective that's not a huge weight gain on a small dog.

Is he being weighed at roughly the same time of day...as am guessing we are talking the same scales too...as that could make the difference too if they are different scales

MiffyMoo and Kimmikins like this.
  3. lullabydream

Just to add @Nettles had something similar with Phoebe, she was more toned and more defined and she was happier with her body condition score but scales didn't change.

Kimmikins likes this.
  4. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I may be remembering this wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that when you exercise to loose weight, while you do loose fat you also gain muscle, so you can see a change, feel a change, but according to the scales, nothing ........

Kimmikins and lullabydream like this.
  5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Doesn't muscle weigh more than fat? If so then this would make sense as to why he is looking better, but weighing the same.

Kimmikins likes this.
  6. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

Aww he looks adorable doing his hydro :Kiss perhaps it's because he's gained muscle mass that he's put weight on?

Kimmikins likes this.
  7. lullabydream

Muscle does weigh more than fat...but to replace the fat for muscle and then some you are talking about 'body building'.

A pound of muscle is still a pound of fat...

So say you were 15 stone human...to carry 15 stone of pure muscle you would have to be a a size 6 tiny and entering miss universe competitions..that's how muscly you would be, extremely muscular!

So you lose a pound of fat and replace it for toned muscle...because we don't want to be on Miami beach flexing...the muscle replacement is leaner and weighs less.

However, if your exercising more, and I guess this would work for dogs too, and especially for Scrumpy with new addition of hydro because that's a blooming good work out... your body can go oh what the hell is happening and stores needed water for your muscles, as they have never been used so much. This can take a few weeks to rectify...but will see non scale victories, as you have seen... scales may not smile though.

I honestly wouldn't worry about a pack of ham weight gain!!

Meezey, Kimmikins and Sairy like this.
  8. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Thanks for clarifying. My bathroom scales definitely don't smile when I get on them!

Kimmikins and lullabydream like this.
  9. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

It's not a huge gain, this is true, just a bit frustrating! It's roughly the same time each day, either 2 hours before or two hours after lunch due to his feeding times. Same scales, too.
    I'm not overly concerned, although mum panics that it means his tumour has returned because it caused muscular hypertrophy that shot him up to over 13kg. I'm more curious as to whether needing a groom can really make that much of a difference.
    His stamina is better, he's moving better and it can only be helping his health generally. He looks leaner when he's sipping wet :D

He puts so much effort in :) he retrieves the toys too, and looks so proud of himself as he's bringing back the chicken! There's not much more we can do to make him lose weight, so if he ends up being the healthiest he can be but at around the 11.7kg mark than I can live with that!

10. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I can't see it being the fur, unless he's horribly matted which of course I know absolutely isn't the case.

A difference of that amount could just be the difference between whether he has recently had a poo or not!

As long as he had a good tuck, good waist and you feel ribs, I wouldn't be too concerned.

lullabydream and Kimmikins like this.
  11. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

The poo bit made me giggle!

He doesn't have a tuck anymore, but I'm thinking that might be from his incision, as his tummy was noticeably low immediately after his surgery. It's lifting, and he has a bit of a lift from where his ribcage finishes, but I think his bikini days are long gone :D

Do you know, I haven't even felt for his ribs recently...how bad is that! Here I am fretting and tantrumming because the numbers are going up, and I haven't even checked the basics :oops:

lullabydream likes this.
  12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Chill :)

Forgot to say lovely photos of Scrumpy Jack. Who would have knew he was so ill so recently?

If there is one thing I love about Westies, it's their 'meh, I'm alright' attitude. Tough little cookies :) Alfie goes on & on.

lullabydream and Kimmikins like this.
  13. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

He is an amazingly resilient little dude. He hasn't let it stop him doing what he loves...eating, barking when he doesn't get what he wants, and peeing on literally everything! Even if he falls over while trying to pee on something, he just gets up and pees on the next thing instead!

They really are tough cookies :)

Meezey likes this.
  14. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I had a similar experience with Ty. He was overweight when I got him. First thing the vet said to me, in fact!. He weghed 21kgs. I took him for 3 or 4 short walks a day and stopped feeding him crap and he gained a waist and leg muscles. I was really excited to see how much weight he'd lost. Vet visit two weeks later and he'd gained half a kilo....

Kimmikins likes this.
  15. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Oh Ty! All that work and the scales betray you!

Mirandashell likes this.
  16. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

This makes me chuckle. They really are great little dogs..

Kimmikins likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice