Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

can dogs faint?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kayejacqueline, Apr 17, 2011.

1. kayejacqueline

kayejacqueline PetForums Newbie

I've just come back from a shortish walk with my min yorkie 'bobby' aged 10 and seemed to have had a 'funny turn' , excessive panting and hunched up and holding his head to one side,.... I just closed the curtains and kept him quiet and just talked to him quietly, it now seems to have passed but it was a very worrying moment..... I was wondering if he'd got too hot as the weather is quite warm today! :(

2. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

3. kayejacqueline

Thank you for that link, very helpful! Bobby seems to have recovered now, thank goodness, that was a very worrying time! :)

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Could be just the heat, but in all honesty if he were mine given his age, I personally would get him a through check up. Once dogs get to older age, Ive always believed you cant be too careful, just like us things can start to not work as good as they used too. There are lots of things now available that should dogs get some health problems in later life, and if caught early they can have many more years with a good quality of life, anthing left though can become a bigger problem.

5. mumtobruce

mumtobruce PetForums Newbie

Oh wow my heart breaks for you . I think like another reader suggested because of his age it may just be signs you need to slow down a bit with his walks. Check his weight because if he is over weight that can cause these problems . I think you have done so fabulous having a yorkie aged ten doing so well because bless their little hearts they can get poorly after much younger than that. Don't take any notice of me though because I am not a vet but like someone else suggested I would take him to the vets just for a check up .
    One other thing is did you feed him just before you went for walkies ? I know sometimes if their little bellies are full up it means they struggle for walkies in the heat . Hope you get on ok

6. kayejacqueline

Thank you for your reply and kind words. Bobby recovered and even wanted his evening meal... He had not eaten before, I'm very wary of not exercising before or immediately eating so that wasn't the reason, he's not over weight, so I'm still don't know what it was! D/H thought he had cramp but I think he got to hot!.... Anyway, I'm not sure about taking him to vets yet, I'm sorry but I'm afraid I'm not trusting of vets, through experience over the years!.. thank you again from 'Bobby' and me!.... x:)

7. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Just a thought (I'm no vet!), but sounds a little like when my small terrier cross had seizures - he had epilepsy. When he first did it we thought 'oh, it passed, he's ok', but it then happened again about a week later. So we took him to the vet and were told it was epilepsy - they put him on pills for the rest of his life (not expensive, thankfully!) and he was fine after that - no more seizures ever!

Hope it turns out ok, whatever the cause! But if it happens again, I would take him for a check up! :)

8. ladyalex

ladyalex PetForums Junior

they can go down when they pull, the coller can slip down the neck and push on airways which cuts out the breathing and because they are panting it happens quite quickly..make sure the coller is right up behind the ears when walking....if it keeps happening maybe try a harness...

9. tsgray70

tsgray70 PetForums Member

Just for reference, my Mum has a 16 year old Cairn Terrier who fainted a few months ago. After suspected Cushings disease it turned out to be a heart condition. She now takes a tablet twice a day and is so much happier.

Well worth visiting the vet in my opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice