Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can cats give us fleas?!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by zippie161, Jan 30, 2012.

1. zippie161

zippie161 PetForums VIP

As some of you know ive had our new baby Barney for almost 2 weeks now & he did come to us with fleas, he had treatment & apart from a few bits of flea dirt left theyre all gone. Now i hadnt noticed any itchyness on myself, but just a few minutes ago i scratched my head & a flea landed on the table & started jumping about before i squashed it!! Is it possible it came from Barney?!

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Cat fleas will bite people though they will then jump off and find a more suitable place to live, like carpets or bedding. When treating a cat for fleas it's a good idea to treat their favourite sleeping areas too. Sometimes you may need to do the whole house :(

3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Fleas spend most of their lifecycle living not on a cat but in/around your home. If you haven't also treated every room with the appropriate household spray then your kitten will, before not too long, have fleas on him again... and they'll bite you too :/ If you have already treated your home too, it can take a little while to 'knock out' all the fleas' lifestages and you might need to re-treat your home as well as your kitten.

4. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

^Exactly what everybody else has explained, fleas are not just restricted to the cat. My older cat has a flea allergy so we have to take extra precautions to keep it under control before it get's too overwhelming to handle

5. karlak

karlak PetForums Newbie

Having not owned cats before - Getting our first one this week :) - Are Cats more prone to flees than Dogs then ?

We have two dogs and we have never had any flee issues.

Which I guess leads to another question. Will Cat flees live happily on Dogs ?

6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I don't think cats get fleas any more than dogs do. I have two indoor cats and we don't have a flea problem at all.
    I expect a cat flea will bite a dog but not necessarily live on the dog.
    If the cat you get does have fleas make sure you use a good treatment like Frontline

7. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Don't go for the cheap stuff like bob martin, it never works. Either Frontline or Fiproline :)

8. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

Same as Lynn has said , we dont have a flea prob here but after reading this post i have an itch !!!!!........:eek::eek:

9. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

have you ever seen an enlarged pic of a flea ???.. my god , thank heavens they dont grow into big things, they are one ugly beast of a thing

10. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

They make my hair stand on end :eek: And hookworms under the microscope look disturbing!

11. LilahSuki

LilahSuki PetForums Junior

Oh my god, when I got Lilah, we were told she was deflead but she had fleas! So we had to keep her in one room and we were scared fleas would jump on us and kill us!!! :eek:

Maybe not kill...

Anyway, we went to a vet and 2 days after she was clean. We also tried to clean her from fleas with a little comb and we would kill fleas in a hot water that was so much fun! -
    Oh there is a flea! Catch it, there aaa YESSS DIE MOTHERF****!:w00t:

12. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

My mom is an entomologist and she always said that a flea would prefer to bite a cat or a dog because their body temperature is higher and nicer for them.

13. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

I have been bitten by cat fleas from a stray that came in.... Not nice... I got some house spray and went a bit crazy :blush:

I use frontline combo every month on my two, and did with the cat before them, never had any problems apart from the problem above!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice