Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can cat milk do any harm?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tobacat, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Does anyone know if cat milk can do any harm? My main concern is the minerals in it contributing to crystals.

By way of history, my male cat has always loved wet cat food. Recently he went off his food, but after a lot of experimenting I've found he will still only eat a little of wet but he'll happily eat dry. As he's not eating much wet, I was also thinking of offering him more dry and some cat milk (with a little water added).

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I would be more worried about the mineral content of the dry food then the mineral content of cat milk. If they are a concern to you, couldn't you water down the cat milk a little to dilute it more?

I thought your cat's UTIs were brought on by stress not crystals.

3. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

It's my other cat which gets cystitis due to stress (you probably didn't realize I had another!).

Although, my male cat has never had crystals, I'm conscious to try and avoid them and also keep up his liquid intake at the same time to avoid any bladder problems in him. My girl used to love dry cat food, so it's going to be hard keeping her away from it!

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Aha! It is your girl with stress UTI and you want to prevent it in your boy. What dry food are you feeding or thinking of feeding him?

Just checked the Whiskas cat milk and they say that 100g contains 0.8% crude ash of which 0.1% calcium. So, in terms of minerals that is not a lot (considering you wouldn't use 100g a day, though perhaps you would) but it is more than water. So, you could try to water it down just a teeny bit initially and then with time increase the amount of water and decrease the cat milk to see whether you get away with as little as possible!

5. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

At the moment he's eating James Wellbeloved senior and Hills senior which I got off a neighbour!! In the long term, I'll have to do some experimenting and need to do my homework from your A-Z dry cat food list - unless anyone has any suggestions!

I'm still hopeful he'll go back to loving wet (as he always preferred that to dry!), but obviously have to feed him in the meantime. I noticed he hadn't eaten much for about a month, so monitored him for a week and he was only having a couple of bites of wet and licking the jelly) a couple of times a day which isn't much for a 13lb cat!

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Could he simply be off his wet food because of those new dry foods (the one from your neighbour)? Is he a young chap? Or he is getting on in his years? The reason I am asking is that a lot of the senior food contains less fat, more fibre and more carbs than dry food formulated for "adult" cats.

Now, if you are worried about crystals etc, then a lot of carbs in food are perhaps not such a great idea as they tend to make the urine pH alkaline, thereby encouraging the formation of struvite crystals. A lot of dry food tries to counter this by adding acidifiers.

I am just updating the dry a-z but it only includes one food per manufacturer (as a rule though there are some exceptions). However, a few of us on the pf have pulled together a spreadsheet of about 215 dry cat food (all flavours from most non-prescription manufacturers) but we haven't shared this yet or done anything with it yet.

So in the meantime, please feel free to pm when you think you have narrowed down your search for a dry food to feed your man (though you know that wet food would always be better in the prevention of any bladder problems) and i can give you some more details and how it compares to others.

PS: Could he be eating out?

7. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

I only tried him on the dry food after keeping an eye on his eating habits and trying other wet food. My neighbour gave me some dry to tempt him really and it worked! He is 11 years old!

He likes to spend time with a couple of the other neighbours, but they haven't been giving him any treats while I've been monitoring him. One said he hasn't been fussed about them recently anyway! Pretty sure he isn't going anywhere else!

I really would prefer him to be on wet and won't give up. He can only have dry cat food when his sister isn't around anyway, as she was a real dry cat food lover before her cystitis! Thanks for your offer of comparison re: dry food. I may well pm when I've got my head around things!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice