Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can cat grass make cats throw up?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Buttons1, May 2, 2014.

1. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

We planted some cat grass a couple of weeks ago and Millie has been eating quite a lot of it.

She has just climbed up on the tv cabinet and thrown up all over it, bless her. There are loads of long blades of cat grass in it. Can it make them sick if they eat too much or was it likely to be a long blade of it irritating her throat?

She hasn't been sick since she has been with us up until just now.

2. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Aww poor Millie :sad:
    I'd imagine it could make a cat sick, especially if she has eaten quite a lot. I guess if you think that free roaming cats chew on some grass outside occasionally and puke then eating a lot in a short space of time might be detrimental.
    No experience myself to quote from but I would suggest limiting the cat grass to a short nibble once or twice a day if Millie is an indoor cat :)
    I hope she feels better soon and the TV has survived ;)

3. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Thanks for that.

She is an outdoor cat and I've seen her eating the grass in the garden quite a few times before, so we got her some cat grass to have indoors too. Maybe she liked it a bit too much.

I kept reading on here that it's a good thing for them to have access to, but should I just forget the idea if it's making her throw up? I've done some googling on cat grass and throwing I'm even more confused :confused:

4. GingerJasper

GingerJasper PetForums Senior

Yesterday morning Alfie threw up some cat grass that he had been eating. He is fine apart from that incident although I did notice a very long blade of grass come out in his poo the day before so assumed that he has been gorging himself a bit.

5. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

The TV is fine btw, luckily it just went on the wooden cabinet that it was sitting on!

6. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if it does more harm than good. Any idea what the actual benefits of cat grass are? Do they need it?

7. GingerJasper

Ooh you've got me there, I always thought it helped with their digestion but maybe that's only cats that go out and hunt.

Not sure to be honest.

8. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

I've never bought cat grass , but once in a blue moon i do go in the garden and pick some for the cats . I only ever pick the fresh light coloured grass... I snip it into small pieces , the amount is probably only half a palm full , they do like it but have never been sick after eating it ( they are indoories ) Perhaps it is because the amount is controlled ? What is the difference between cat and ordinary grass ?

9. ForeverHome

ForeverHome PetForums VIP

Here's one article attempting to balance the pros and cons Cat Grass for Cats- good or bad?

From years of personal observation, there is a big difference between the response of a cat eating oat grass and a cat eating the rough grass they seem to favour outdoors. Oat grass results in a lot less vomiting and seems to be less likely to come out through the nose.

For the advocates of as close to a natural diet as possible, I can't imagine why you would exclude grass, as eating it is a natural behaviour not just in domestic cats but across all wild felines too. So even if the benefits are not scientifically proven, surely from a behavioural point of view a cat should be allowed to do what comes naturally.

A cat that has fresh grass is far less likely to try chewing on inappropriate possibly toxic plants and cut flowers. Henry has a taste for cottoneaster and jasmine buds, which he nibbles as a delicacy in addition to the best blades from a whole lawn.

My cats if I slip up and don't have a tray of grass for them for one week will start trying to chew the grassy bits in my artificial flowers. They really do crave it. In an emergency, Molly will eat a handful of grass I've picked for her outside. They both graze daily. My mother comments that they like a little salad starter before their main course! I wouldn't think of depriving them of it, I trust them, even if there's no scientific data to back them up. I know when I catch myself eating a jar of Marmite in a week that I must be short of vitamin B, so I eat it until I don't fancy it any more. I bet my cats are better in tune with their needs than I am!

eta - mine do bring up hairballs but rarely grass, and Bobby occasionally brings up his food if here was too much jelly in it.

http://www.knowyourcat.info/info/catingrass.htm interesting comment about chlorophyll.

#9 ForeverHome, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  10. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Maybe it's habit but my two head for the tray of wheat grass whenever I let them out, they have never vomited after eating grass nor do they vomit hair balls.

If they like a little nibble that's enough for me.

11. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

I always thought that cats specifically eat grass if they've eaten something bad or are not feeling well and WANT to throw up to feel better ...

Of green stuff Phoebe likes rocket and spinach the most, but it doesn't make her sick ;)

12. ForeverHome

That was the old accepted 'wisdom' but I think that's pretty much debunked now. Seems science doesn't really know why and there are plenty of theories. I just go on the basis that it's natural behaviour for some more than others and let them get on with it. I find hairballs with no grass and grass with no hairballs, so here at least the link seems tenuous at best. But then oat grass is much smoother.

13. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Thanks all. I think I will pop the grass away for a couple of days and bring it back out and see if the throwing up starts again.

I can't say I'm particularly keen on her being sick, it really upsets me :(

14. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I've just read the article based in your first link and I think I might lose the cat grass based on this quote

"In summary, it is my opinion that you do NOT need to offer your pet cat cat grass. Cat grass ingestion probably does not have any true benefits for the normal, healthy cat, other than the distraction argument. It does make them vomit, but rarely is that a good thing. It does add fiber to the diet, but it is doubtful that that is necessarily a good thing, either. It is possible it may assist in a cat's ability to move hair through its intestinal tract, but a normal cat should be able to do that anyway without the added ‘benefit' of cat grass. And it is very unlikely it actually improves a cat's nutritional status. But it at least seems to be relatively harmless. So if you really want to feed your cat this vegetation, I will not try to stand in your way, as long as you understand it is not necessary, nor strongly recommended, at least by this veterinarian."

We don't have any poisonous plants in the house or garden so we don't need it for distraction purposes.

15. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Bob is fine with grass, although I hand feed it to him, it does come out the other end undigested but he likes it, and seems to view it as a treat. He is happy with the stuff that grows in the flowerpots in the garden where the plants should be but will also eat the Trixie cat grass I grow indoors, as long as it has been outdoors for a while.

Maisie is prone to vomiting and after a few episodes I removed her access to it which is why Bob gets hand fed with his. We had her at the vets so many times with throwing up problems and her throat seems to give her problems so it is best to keep her away from it. I have also removed the spider plant as she seemed to go for that when there was no grass.

The story is that it is good for digestion and can induce vomiting/help with furballs but mine don't need any help with that.

Apparently lettuce is a good alternative but I would get organic if you do that.

16. ForeverHome

You can also get grass tablets if actual grass does Maisie no good but she has a craving for it.

17. GingerJasper

Since the 1 incident of vomiting from Alfie the other day we have had no more incidents. Its actually Lola that is favouring the lastest bunch that I have grown and she has had no problems. I will leave mine out for them to grass on if and when they want it.

18. ehasler

ehasler PetForums Member

Smoggy loves Rocket salad, and also enjoyed chewing on cat grass when I grew a tray full, but so far it hasn't made her vomit.

A previous cat I looked after would almost always throw up after eating cat grass though, usually along with a fur ball (she did moult a lot though). I'm not sure whether she chewed it to make herself throw up, or did it anyway despite it having that effect.

19. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Ah yes, these
    Tigeria Cat Treats Lucky Grass at zooplus
    are available from zooplus.
    Phoebe used to love them, I recently got her a packet from the reward shop and she doesn't like them :rolleyes:
    Is it because she knows I paid nothing for them? :blink:

20. GingerJasper

I think i've found out why Alfie threw up. He had managed to get a paw on some weeds and has been chewing them. I thought i'd got them all but he managed to find the last bit I couldn't reach through the wire in the cat pen.

So it wasn't the grass after all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice