Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can bunnies eat Oranges?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jaxb05, Apr 1, 2011.

1. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

I left an orange down and stepped out of the room - when I cam back - Millie was getting stuck into it. She seemed to love it. I took it away as I wasn't sure if rabbits are permitted to eat oranges. I thought it would be too tart for them anyway. Millie is a gorb though and I think she would eat anything at all! :eek:

2. rubyandi

rubyandi PetForums Junior

try to steer clear of citrus fruits because the acidity and sugar won't do the gut any favors

3. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

in a word, no

their stomachs are not able to cope with the acids in citric fruits, and can cause upsets and diarrhoea, a very small amount wont hurt her though, and even if shes eaten quite a bit of it now, as long as she doesnt make a habit of it there shouldnt be any long term effects

4. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

George and Ember like a tiny bit of orange now and then. They can have the flesh but not the skin. I don't go out of my way to give it to them but if I'm eating an orange I give them a segment if its a satsuma or clementine or half a segment for a bigger orange. They really only get a piece maybe two or three times a year at most and I only really give them a piece if its one of those tasteless dry ones that you get every now and then rather than the juicy ones.

5. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

its the flesh that contains the acid, its actually really bad for them and can upset their very sensitive digestive system

6. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

As others have said, no citrus acid upsets the natural balance of the gut.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice