Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by thedogsmother, Jun 24, 2009.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Hi, Syd is has developed a sore patch over both eyes, I noticed it about an hour ago and it looks like a graze but I can't work out what has caused it, his nails are intact so I don't think he has had a bump and he looks his usual happy healthy self. Any ideas anyone? I don't think its a vet job (unless it gets worse) but it just seems to be in a funny place, oh I'd better add that its very unlikely to be a fighting wound as he isn't a fighter.

Attached Files:

2. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

hmm not sure,prob just a graze, keep an eye on it

3. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

One of my cats Mia is like this sometimes shes all white so its easy to see on her, i thought maybe when they are hot it shows more as they dont have much fur there anyway. Its just my views on it

4. Pamela

Pamela Guest

As he had a tick on there and scratched it off?

5. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

is he an outdoor cat?? possibley been fighting?

6. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

good point.

7. thedogsmother

I would have thought it was just a graze as well but he has one on each eyebrow which would mean he had grazed himself twice on either side of his head. Can you put antiseptic cream (germoline) on cats? he has broken the skin slightly as there are tiny scabs.

8. thedogsmother

He is a free range (cat flap) cat but he spends most of his time indoors and if a cat confronts him he usually runs home as quickly as he can.

9. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

maybe a cats just cought him on the side of his head.

10. thedogsmother

Sorry will get the knack of multi quotes, we don't live anywhere near any long grass or countryside, can they get ticks from normal lawns?

11. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Could it be sunburn?

I know that there tends to be a patch over the eyes of cat that is fairly sparse in fur so it is probably if it is identical over both eyes.

thedogsmother likes this.
  12. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Im guessing yeah as rabbits can get them if they drop of and a cat comes past they will go on them

13. thedogsmother

Yes I think you've got it, it quite possibly could be, the fur there is quite thin and he has been sunbathing on the balcony today, can I use aftersun and sun lotion on him? Just checked and it is warm like sunburn.

14. Pamela

Pamela Guest

Doesn't have to be long grass or countryside can be just bushes or a well planted garden.

15. Mieze

Mieze PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    my cat has showed the same symptoms, it starts over the eyes, then around the mouth and on her backside. She has been diagnosed with an allergy to cat food. I give her hypoallergenic cat food since then, and now she is fine and hasn´t got similar problems ever since.

16. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I'd talk to your vet. Sun lotion is designed for the pH balance in human skin. I would hate to think it might make it feel worse for him.

17. thedogsmother

Did it suddenly start with your girl as Syd was fine this morning and he is an incredibly affectionate boy so he gets loads of snuggles and we would have noticed if he had it before.

18. Mieze

Mieze PetForums Newbie

Yes, I´ve noticed it one evening, and have been sure it wasn't there when I left the house that morning. I've also thought it might have been a scratch (maybe caused from the other cat) but as it didn't heal I was worried and went to my vet. He was pretty sure that it is an allergy, but not quite sure from what. To change the cat food was our first try, and luckily it has worked.

19. thedogsmother

And the winner is................ Mieze. Syd got much worse last night and started looking sore around the tips of his ears, inside his ears, and around his nose and mouth. The vet says its almost certainly an allergy but its probably to pollen as there is so much around at the moment, so he has had an anti inflamatory injection and he should be feeling better in a couple of days (fingers crossed).

20. Mieze

Mieze PetForums Newbie

Poor Syd!!!

I hope he'll be better soon! But it's good that you (respectively your vet) probably know the reason for his problem, so I hope you can sort it out.

Liebe Grüße
    Regine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice