Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can Anyone Recommend a Vet in Nottingham?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by longdoglover, Jun 24, 2009.

1. longdoglover

longdoglover PetForums Newbie

Hi, I've never posted before, so apologies if this is off-topic.

I have a 9 1/2 ex racing / stray greyound bitch. About 18 months ago she was diagnosed with colitis (the vet used a very long word to describe which one it was!). This has been managed until recently with steroids and diet.

However, she took a down hill turn when on the steroids and reverted back to her original symptoms. I have been to the vet's twice in the last two weeks, once becasue the colitis had come back with avengence (too longer symptom list to go into here) and once becasue she had a seizure. I had taken her to the vets about 6 months ago as I thought she had a small seizure, but they told me to just 'keep an eye on her.' I was recommended them and they are very price conscious (which is obviously good). However, I am unhappy that they don't seem to be bothered about getting her better because of breed and age.

Can anyone recommend a vet that is interested in greyounds in the Nottingham area as she is getting worse and if it means changing to get her better, it is worth it.

2. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

BUMP, seeming as i now lived in Nottingham for years and cant help you this is the least i can do .

Have you tryed contacting Greyhound dogs associations, see where in the Midlands they would recommend you to ?

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

What are you feeding? Diet of course has a huge impact on colitis.

Vets rarely treat seizures that are so infrequent. It is very much a case of just monitoring them, although i know they can be very distressing to watch. Many seizure medications are very harsh on the dogs system, and personally, id keep my animals off of them unless they were absolutley necessary.

4. caroleduffin

caroleduffin PetForums Member

Hi. I used to live in Nottingham, and at that time owned a Yorkie, Penny. I tried one or two vets, and finally settled and stayed at The Oaks,
    Woodborough Road. They were always very competent in their treatment of her, and their prices were much more reasonable that the other Nottingham. Finally I had to have Penny put to sleep which nearly broke my heart, but I shall always remember their kindness and compassion.

I now live in Ollerton and have a little Shih Zhu called Jasmine. I am hoping to sell my house and return to Nottingham to live. When I do I shall certainly register with The Oaks. Jasmine's mum.

5. longdoglover

Hi, thanks for your help.

Caroleduffin, I took my other dog to the Oaks for vomiting about 3 years ago and they charged me over 500.00! Yes, they were very thorough, but they didn't give me a choice with what to do, didn't tell me how much anything cost until it was over four hundred pounds and insisted I brought their dog food. After all that, they provided me with no answers at all so I wouldn't go back there because I can't afford to pay 500.00 when a 24 hour would have done. But I must stress, that is only my experience, and at least they did seem concerned. Sorry to hear about Penny.

Nonnie, Bella has been on a range of hyperallergic diets for her colitis over the two years she's had it and even the prescription ones. I've also tried her on home cooked using a novel protein & carbohydrate. She's only had two really bad flare ups, but this is when she had been on a diet that has been working for months and prednisone, so it is a bit of a mystery. What you say about seizures is comforting as I'm unhappy about certain medication myself.

Captain, I rang the trusts and they recommended my vet without knowing I went there. They are supposed to be the best in Nottingham!

Thanks again, your advice is really appreciated.

6. curluscat

curluscat PetForums Junior

I have been very satisfied with Buckley House Vets in Hucknall, Nottingham. I had a very old, poorly cat a few years ago and was frustrated by the treatment and lack of answers she and I received from our local vet. Buckley House though was another story, no more futile treatments, the poor girl was diagnosed with an untreatable cancer and was mercifully, kindly, put to sleep at Buckley House.

Just before Xmas I brought home my lovely puppy Dolly and immediately registered her at Buckley House - I'm so glad I did. At 5 months Dolly was diagnosed with a deformed hip and is currently recovering from a hip replacement op. Things seem to be going very well I'm pleased to say, and it's thanks to the expertise of the staff at Buckley House, especially the orthopaedic surgeon Graham Oliver.

That's my experience anyway - hope it helps someone.

Dolly's Mum

7. longdoglover

Thanks for all your advice. I've been recommended several times over the vets I'm actually at, so it looks like I should probably stay with them after all. Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice