Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can anyone reccomend a good clipper for cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Aud's_Mum, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

Preferably one with a variety of blades, and one that will cut through quite thick fur!

Thank you :D

2. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

i dont sorry but i wanted to comment how lovely your cats are in the pictures x

3. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Sorry not a clue either, I tend to use scissors if Nala gets any matts but it is quite rare.

Rebecca

4. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

Have you had any experience of using clippers on cats at all?

Unless you have I would seriously advise against it - I know professional groomers make it look easy but it isn't especially if the cat isn't used to it. You could do injury to the cat or as is more likely he will freak out badly due to the noise and vibration from the clippers and you will be the injured one - even the quiet ones can create some noise.

Ive known quite a few breeders that have tried to clip their cats but have given up due to the difficulty, I also tried on one of my most laid back cats and he turned extremely aggressive with just the sound of the blade running - and the clipper was nowhere near him at the time. :eek:

I think dogs are much more easier to clip than cats.

5. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

I clipped my persian boy out fully,he was very hot,it was my first time,i nicked him on the inside of his leg once,this healed quickly,i used normal clippers:) it took ages but he was very good and still.

6. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I'm a professional cat groomer and it actually took me a long time to learn how to use clippers properly to do de-mats, because you are working so close to the skin and it is very easy to nick the skin. But if you just need to remove the odd knot which isnt close to the skin, battery trimmers, like the Moser Arco are pretty good, you have just one blade and there is a switch that can change the cut from high to low.

If your cats have never been clipped before, then I'd first run the clipper/trimmer-for a short time in the same room as the cats, but not near them to guage reaction. Most cats will jump a bit when they first hear the sound. I usally give a treat after I've run the clippers, then run them again, followed by a treat and work up to actually using them on the cat.

7. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

Thanks Angeli - i've no experience at all, just thought i'd give it go but i'm thinking against that now....:eek:

I've found a brilliant groomer for Alfie, but she is so hard to get hold of, never returns my calls or texts and i'm beginning to get a tad frustrated with her now. I daren't try anyone else after what happened to Aud, so thought i'd try it myself!?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice