Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by teazatiger, Aug 3, 2009.

1. teazatiger

teazatiger PetForums Newbie

Hi i brought two female rats yesterday, one of them is a dumbo rat we've called Raisen and the other called Peanut. i've just noticed today that the dumbo has a really small bit of blood around her nose and has little sneezing fits and sometimes you can hear her breating heavy. i have heard of a cold that rats get when they are babies that can be fatal if left untreated. is this true? and what are the symptoms of it? these are really small. we was told they are 8 weeks but i think they are younger. definately weened off their mother though and little trouble makers!!

I also have an older female rat called Bubble and she lost her sister (Squeak) on friday and she seems really lost. what can i do to help her? Thanks!!! :D

#1 teazatiger, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

I looked this up for you and i copied and pasted it for you....

Sneezing/Wheezing/Noisy Breathing: Often the sign of a respiratory infection. Virtually all pet rats are infected with an organism called mycoplasma which inhabits their respiratory system. Many rats carry mycoplasma without appearing to suffer any illness, while others are not able to carry the infection unharmed. These rats will usually start to sneeze as young adults; they then develop some damage to the respiratory tract (lungs, windpipe, etc.) which makes it easier for bacteria to enter and cause an infection. This is usually what has happened when a rat starts to wheeze, and if a great deal of damage is caused to the respiratory tract, the rat may develop emphysema, bronchitis, pneumonia and lung abscesses.

Although sneezing is not necessarily a sign of serious illness (most rats sneeze at some point in their lives), a rat that sneezes frequently and for an extended period should be observed for any other signs of illness. If your rat's breathing appears laboured, wheezy, or has a rattley sound, consult a vet immediately. When treated early, secondary respiratory infections can often be kept at bay with a strong course of antibiotics (see Antibiotic Therapy).

While sneezing or snuffling may be the result of the irritation of the respiratory tract from dust and phenol oils if the rat is kept on shavings, often a rat with noisy breathing is suffering from a secondary infection in the upper respiratory tract. These infections often sound far more serious that they are, and we have had some success treating them ourselves without antibiotics, as discussed below under 'Home Remedies'. These approaches have helped our animals, but we would stress that your pet's health is your responsibility. If you are in any doubt about which approach to take, you should talk to your vet.

A rat which shows a tendency to succumb to infection should never be bred from, as the tendency towards respiratory illness is partly hereditary. This means it is likely that offspring and resulting generations will have weakened immune systems. It is important to obtain rats from breeders who select for healthy animals; a persistent sneezer, or a rat which wheezes, should not be bred from.

3. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

What colour are they? I ask because it may not be blood that you are seeing round the nose but something called porphyrin. Its basically mucus which rats produce. It will also stain the area around their eyes. It shows up more on lighter coloured rats and it does look similar to blood. You may also notice pinkish staining on the rats shoulders from where they have washed their faces and rubbed the mucus down their backs.

4. teazatiger

teazatiger PetForums Newbie

the dumbo is hooded black and the other is hooded light brown. i'v also heard when you first get new rats and bring them to your home they can get sneezes and wheezes for the first couple of days because they are getting used to all the new smells in your house? she didn't have them when we went and got her?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice