Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can anyone help with Ticks?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Midnight, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

My hubby just found a tick on Storm, now do attempt to get it off myself or take her to the vets ? any ideas of a good way of getting it off ? x

#1 Midnight, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

I think if you totally coat them in vasaline it suffercates them and they drop off. You can use tick twisers but you need to grab at the base and it must be quick so the tick doesnt grab hold with its mouth parts. Also you dont want to leave the mouth parts in there to get infected. Might be worth just ringing vet for advice.

#2 sullivan, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

pet shops sell special tweezers for getting ticks off but I usually just put a dab of antiseptic on near its head and give a quick pull with ordinary tweezers. Ticks come off more easily if they're quite fat as they're almost ready to drop off then anyway. you have to make sure it's all off in the first go too or the head can just be buried in the cat's skin. Good luck :)

4. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Thank you both x i feel silly now my hubby found it under her neck and assumed it was a tick he just went to get it off and it turned out to be a sweet heart of the plant in the garden :blushing: which is good i suppose ;) i'll bear the advise in mind if and when i really need it, thank you again xx

5. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

At least all ok. DID you know ticks can attatch to us as well if walking in wooded areas. YUCK...

6. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Glad it wasn't a tick - horrid little things! :eek: Gizmo came in this morning covered in 'bobby's buttons' ( don't know what they're called really but little clingy seed pods) They look just like ticks at first glance.
    I've had to remove ticks from my son and husband - we get a lot round here. I use tea tree oil on people but I think it's poisonous on cats.

7. spiffy

spiffy PetForums Junior

Glad it wasn't a tick. They can be such nasty things. I mistaken a bit of fluff in my kitten's hair as a tick, it can easily be done.

8. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Glad it wasn't a tick :)
    I have used vaseline in the past (thankfully have not had to deal with ticks for years). It suffocates them, as they breath through their bottoms, so they come out without having to pull them out. Well, that's what's worked for me anywho :)

9. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

NO NO NO THİS İS DANGEROUS!!!!

10. lymorelynn

Staff Member

The vaseline or pulling them out?

11. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

Both - See my reposted advice on Ticks. Use a tick remover cost about 1.99 from vets or pet store.

lymorelynn likes this.
  12. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

Prevent Ticks in the First Place

Tick Control & Prevention

Removing a tick from your cat or dog is easy if you just follow these simple steps.
    To remove an attached tick, use a pair of fine-tipped tweezers or special tick removal instruments. These special devices allow one to remove the tick without squeezing the tick body. This is important as you do not want to crush the tick and force harmful bacteria to leave the tick and enter your pet's bloodstream.

Grab the tick by the head or mouth parts right where they enter the skin. Do not grasp the tick by the body.

Without jerking, pull firmly and steadily directly outward. Do not twist the tick as you are pulling.

Using methods such as applying petroleum jelly, a hot match, or alcohol will NOT cause the tick to 'back out.' In fact, these irritants may cause the tick to deposit more disease-carrying saliva in the wound.

After removing the tick, place it in a jar of alcohol to kill it. Ticks are NOT killed by flushing them down the toilet.

Clean the bite wound with a disinfectant. If you want to, apply a small amount of a triple antibiotic ointment.

Wash your hands thoroughly.
    Please do not use your fingers to remove or dispose of the tick. We do not want you in contact with a potentially disease-carrying tick. Do NOT squash the tick with your fingers. The contents of the tick can transmit disease.

Once an embedded tick is manually removed, it is not uncommon for a welt and skin reaction to occur. A little hydrocortisone spray will help alleviate the irritation, but it may take a week or more for healing to take place. In some cases, the tick bite may permanently scar leaving a hairless area. This skin irritation is due to a reaction to tick saliva. Do not be worried about the tick head staying in; it rarely happens

13. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Some very good advice Thank You ;)

14. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

I'm very glad I saw this post as I did not know vaseline wasn't good.
    Although I hope never to have to deal with them, I thank you for your very informative post turkeylad :)

15. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Sorry but i did mean grab at the base not the body as aware they can leave there head parts in and can cause infection. Didnt type in very well eariler. Vasiline was reccomended to me via my vets and ive used it in the past no probs. lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice