Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can anyone help please?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lesleyyt, May 29, 2010.

1. Lesleyyt

Lesleyyt PetForums Newbie

Our Beagle had a litter of 5 pups yesterday morning by cesarian. When she came round from the anasthetic she was terrified of the puppies. It's now 17 hours since the pups were born and she has no interest in them al all. Have been hand feeding the pups - does anyone have any ideas as to how to get Mum interested in the pups and to feed them?

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,sorry i cant help,as iv no experience.(but didnt want to read your thread and not reply).The more experienced will come along soon to help im sure.
    Hope all goes well and she starts to feed soon.Congratulations too.

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Just bumping it up really I cant be of any help as Ive no experience with dog breeding. Are you able to physically pop them on her nipples while she is distracted maybe the maternal instinct would kick in then:confused:.

4. dimkaz

dimkaz PetForums VIP

i would suggest you sit in the whelping box with all of them keep everything to extreme calm (zen-like), and stimulate the teats to produce milk, it can be a long process....but i guess the maternal instinct will keck in eventually...
    be very aware that the mum can attack the little ones if pushed to hard (relatively to her level of tolerance)...so calm is the operative word!

good luck
    Best
    D

5. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I have had this happen. I had to sit with her all the time (day and night) and put the pups on her teats, reassuring her and stroking her so she saw them as something nice. It took quite a while but the maternal instinct did kick in. Good luck.

6. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I've not had a bitch have a C-section (touch wood) - but my last litter - the bitch had a pretty horrible time (each pup was around 21oz) - and she was pretty freaked to start with - I was very lucky we had her own mother here with a bellyfull of milk and the vet said if she wants to step in let her - we were lucky - by the last two pups, with us, mum had come around and was quite happy to have her babies with her) and warn anyone off who wanted to come near them.

Mum did come around - and I think all you can do is be gentle about it and try coaxing but not forcing - sit in the whelping box with her and gently show her the pups until she takes an interest - by doing this, if she becomes aggressive, then you are in a position to take them away.

Look at it from the dog's perspective, as a maiden bitch, she doesn't have the humans knowledge to understand what's happening - she wouldn't have know what's happening to her - to wake up and find these tiny little squeakers demanding attention must be one hell of a shock :(

I am sure she will come around bless her - poor little thing has been through a tought time.

7. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

please do not forget to make them toilet, it is very very important as puppies will die if not stimulated to go:( try putting a little honey on their private bits and hopefully mum will lick them to stimulate them to toilet, i cannot stress how important it is to do this:( as for mum taking to them,she might do if you do what the others have said and sit in there with her and pups and constantly reassure her,but some just dont take to their puppies at all i am afraid:( i hope she does though:)

8. Lesleyyt

Thank you all for your kind suggestions. We fed the pups ourselves last night - no sleep! and then have sat in with her all day today. She has eaten lots of boiled fish and was coaxed gently into letting the pups feed, she has even taken a little interest in cleaning the puppies herself. We are still watching and helping 24/7 but hopeful she will take full charge of the little ones soon.
    New problem is that she is loosing 'pint's of nasty green stuff (amniotic fluid?) and I'm trying to keep her and the house clean - but it's disgusting!!!!
    Thanks
    Lesleyyt

9. Shamen

Shamen Guest

hi ive fostered a rescue who had to have a ceasarian and she didnt lose any green discharge at all, i would be inclined to contact the vet and check this is normal.

good luck with the puppies.

10. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I have to say this didn't occur to me being a C-section - I was going to say it is normal after a natural birth - but real idea after a C-section.

I am guessing that they won't get 'everything' out when they operate - but I think I would be inclined to agree with Shamen and check with the vet to be on the safe side.

11. Lesleyyt

I think you are both right - I'll check with my vet. Thanx

12. loverbull

loverbull PetForums Junior

Bitches do loose alot of discharge after a section just the same as a normal birth but I would be concerned at the colour.

I have also had bitches not interested in pups after a section but I stay with them keeping them calm and gently hold her down (I dont force her) while the pups suckle. Eventually I find once the milk starts flowing mother nature takes over and she accepts the pups.

Glad yours has started taking to motherhood :thumbup:

13. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

Lesley,

How is she doing? and the pups? Have they suckled yet??

Laura & Colin

14. Lesleyyt

I checked with the Vet and the discharge is apparently normal - even the colour! Now it's changing to a more normal blood stained discharge so I think on that score all is OK.
    We have done as suggested and stayed with Millie in the whelping pen and helped her to feed and clean the pups. But yesterday we thought she was looking after them when in fact she wasn't. We left the situation too long and sadly one of the puppies died. We aren't sure if Millie laid on it or it was dehydration. We hand fed the other pups all night and right now Millie is feeding and cleaning the pups - but under close supervision.
    We are very sad to have lost a pup, this is our fifth litter and its never happened before. Thank you to everyone for your help.
    Thanks for posting Laura - give Colin a big hug from us.
    Lesley

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice