Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can Anyone Help Molly?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by MightyWah, Mar 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MightyWah

MightyWah Banned

Hello, I'm new to this forum but not new to dogs . . .

We have a (rescue) Parsons Terrier bitch named Molly with some deep rooted behaviour issues. We've had her 8yrs now & achieved some fantastic results from what we started with.

As she is now entering her twilight years she has begun to regress a little in her behaviour. She's always been a VERY anxious dog & often visibly shakes for no apparent reason when we're interacting.

The big problem we have now is we cannot get any form of lead on her. Neither collar or harness & we've tried several types of harness/collars & numerous different approaches. It's like she wants her freedom & values her freedom off lead. She has always enjoyed a lot of time off the lead & previously we have never had a problem getting her into a harness, in fact she used to literally 'jump' into it for a walk.

For the past few months we have had to work around her jumping into the boot of our estate car & driving to somewhere where she can just jump out into her off lead world of freedom. This cannot go on, I accept that the longer this goes on the harder it will be to get her on a lead again. Pretty soon all of our worlds will change where once again she needs to be on a lead . . . .

I've owned 4x dogs in my life so far, I was raised by an an ex army dog handler who taught me how to train a dog & get the best from them. I'm at my wits end because we can't go on like this.

Can anyone help?

2. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Hi and welcome :) first thing I’d check is if she is in any pain, maybe the collar/harness is hurting her, if she used to be ok with it, maybe a vet visit to make sure

JoanneF likes this.
  3. MightyWah

MightyWah Banned

Thank you for your response.

There is a good possibility that she has experienced pain from her harness/collar/lead previously & that is why she now strongly rejects one. However, I do not feel that is the root cause.

I cannot remember the exact point that she rejected being on a lead, I cannot remember any bad experience she may have had whilst on a lead or getting one put on her.

One of the commands that she has always recognised is "fetch your lead" & despite the fact that she has never ever actually fetched her lead she has always recognised that this means a walk is imminent. She is accustomed to 2 regular walks a day, one at 6am'ish & one at 4pm'ish, & as I work from home there is often at least one walk which can be anytime.

This is a very strange dog & she's always been very strange in her behaviour. The only dog I have ever known not to want grooming & in the 10yrs of me trying my best I can count on one hand the number of times I have tickled her tummy.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum :)

In what way can't you get a lead on her - what happens when you try?

5. MightyWah

MightyWah Banned

She used to literally jump into her harness during her walk frenzy. I appreciate that the walk frenzy can & should be trained out but we have never managed to do this.

Now, she displays the walk frenzy but when the harness is produced she sulks away & hides. If you follow her & try to get near her with the harness you get the angry snarl followed by a snapping 'nip' if you persist. We've tried making the walk conditional on the harness & left the house without her, she seems content with this. You can place the harness on her, but try to fit it & it's 'game on' all over again.

Mostly, she is a good dog with a good temperament. When walking off lead she knows she can't go out of site, we often walk in an environment with lots of ducks, geese & swans which she never bothers. If she approaches anything she shouldn't she responds well to a shouted "away" & retreats.

I've tried diphenhydramine to calm her anxiety with noticeable results, she became a much more tail waggy dog with an increased energy level, like it took 5yrs off her age !

I even tried a little cannabis (sshhhh), she sat on her bed watching everything around her with amazement, obviously enjoying the trip.

A trip to the vets would be very traumatic for everyone concerned. She's only ever been twice, first time for injections & second time for a broken tooth. On both occasions she was calm & only slightly apprehensive on the table, soon as it got hands on all hell let loose . . . .

I'm lost. We've tried everything we know & we've tried intensively. This can't go on, sooner or later we're going to need her on a lead.

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Personally I would want her checked over by a vet. If you ring your vet and explain I'm sure he would prescribe medication to calm her down before you took her in or even come out to your car to examine her. Dogs are very good at masking pain and you say she's in her twilight years. Exactly how old is she?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

As she's being driven out to public places, she needs to wear a collar and tag - that's the law.
    Definitely she needs a vet check, any significant change in behaviour warrants one.
    What sort of harness have you been using? If it's one that's plain webbing, I could understand those being uncomfortable. I'd get a nice soft fleece-lined one, such as those made by Perfect Fit or Cosy Dogs, get it on her and there's no real need to take it off between walks - thereby eliminating the issue of getting it on again for the next walk. and the tag on a harness will 'do' in terms of legality.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

8 is not old for a terrier at all, definitely not what I'd consider the twilight years, unless she's otherwise poorly!

If she were my dog, I'd being having an MOT at the vets to rule out any pain or other physical causes of the extreme behaviour change.
    Please dont self medicate with drugs, they don't affect dogs in the same way as humans.

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. MightyWah

MightyWah Banned

She's at least 12 probably near to 14, we don't know her actual age but her previous keeper had her 4yrs & she wasn't a pup when he aquired her. Her behaviour was appalling when we first got her & it took us months of often intensive attention to get her manageable.

She's booked in at t'vets Monday. I don't know how they will be able to examine her without knocking her out but at least they'll be able to get a collar on her.

10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

#10 SusieRainbow, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  11. MightyWah

MightyWah Banned

Weed is as useful to animals as it is to humans. It is important to understand the dosage, which for dogs is extremely low.

If any of you are daft enuff to fork out for the horribly expensive CBD oil, either for yourself or as is about to become popular, for your pets, please hear me that 99% of the available 'brands' contain NO active cannabis derived ingredient.

Of course I'm aware that it is illegal. Please don't judge until you have informed yourselve's about the truth of cannabis. A good place to start is the book "The Emporer Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer.

12. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Trust me , I've heard all the 'pro' arguments for cannabis, my brother was an ardent champion of it,died prematurely at 69 due many years of use. You won't persuade me and you are breaking the law!
    If you persist with this line of argument the thread will be closed and you will be banned.

13. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I had a PRT who, at 15 years old, became very reluctant to go for a walk.

I believe his eyesight was failing and he was afraid.

Your bitch is telling you something you're not just hearing.

I would leave a collar on her all the time and use it to take her short walks, if she's willing to go.

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and Sarah H like this.
  14. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I know it's very difficult but pleased you've booked an appointment with your vet as amongst other things it could be CCD (dementia). Please let us know how you get on and I hope your vet can help her.

15. MightyWah

MightyWah Banned

Well we have a collar on.

After discussing it on the phone we agreed she could just turn up in the back of the car if I couldn't get her in a carrier. Chucked in her favourite treat & she walked straight in. I doubt we'll do that again & I doubt the carrier will stand up to a second use anyway.

Had a good 20min chat with t'vet who agreed with me that if she is experiencing any pain then any examination would be pointless, she'd won't be calmly sitting there telling you where it hurts while you poke & prod away . . . . I also agreed that it probably best I wasn't there to put the collar on. She's got some prescribed painkiller which we'll try for a few weeks to see if there's a better change in her behaviour from my (ahem) anti anxiety treatments . . . !

She spit, snarled, snapped & Pee'd & Poo'd everywhere but was finally brought out to me with a muzzle still on . . . & a fiery look of pure hatred in her eyes that only the female of the species can attain. We attached a lead before taking the muzzle off & we drove straight to a local park for a few laps which she handled very well. Getting the lead unclipped off her when we got back home is another story, so there's still much work to do.

I picked up a few tips here, but my bad, I thought there might be someone with a little more indepth knowledge into dog psyche'.

P.S. I don't know where you're coming from when you insist that it's illegal for a dog to go out on a walk without a collar on. If you think a dog shouldn't go out for a walk simply because it doesn't have a collar on, then perhaps you should rethink your priorities towards animals in general, & maybe keep your advice to yourself.

16. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Why would anyone advocate the use of cannabis for any animal? Why inflict a vile human habit on an animal?

17. MightyWah

MightyWah Banned

It is neither vile, nor is it a habit. It is an entirely pure natural product of 'Mother Nature' herself.

Nurse Ratchett has dictated that such things are taboo on her forum, but I bet I gets kicked off before you do . . . .

I look after all my animals, their welfare comes before mine & I strongly suspect that the way me & you think about animal welfare is entirely different.

18. neverforgotten2020

neverforgotten2020 PetForums Junior

It is illegal for a dog to be in a public space in the UK without a colkar with ID

19. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Nurse Ratchett has closed the thread and banned the troll.:Troll:Smuggrin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice