Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can anyone help me.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by PuppyNannie, Aug 5, 2009.

1. PuppyNannie

PuppyNannie PetForums Newbie

My daughter has 6 cats, and i love them all dearly,i catsit them all the time.I have move in with my partner and he wont let me have a cat of my own,he say,s the furniture will get ruin and it will make a mess what can i do to make him change his mind.:

2. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

That's a tough one... all I can say is I have 3 cats of my own and they don't scratch the furniture because I have a scratching post and toys to keep them occupied. Cats are very easy to train and generally clean animals so using a litter tray comes somewhat of an ease to them. Perhaps you could show your partner some websites on cats and training and he may give it more consideration..
    Also, if you adopt a kitten/cat and it doesn't work out, could your daughter take it in?

Good luck! Adopting my kittens was one of the best decisions I've made!

3. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Tell him to stop being a wuss! :D:D

It's all very well having a lovely spotless pristine house but without a furry one it is souless and not really a home.

If you had a moggie that was going out then the furniture issue probably wouldn't be such a big issue but if you are having an indoor cat then you would need a few decent cat climbers and to clip the claws regularly.

;)I think your son-in-law would have to be carried out to a white van in a straightjacket if they got another cat....:D:wink5::smilewinkgrin:

4. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

Hello and welcome to the forum :biggrin:

Just a thought,but do you insist on taking a kitten.If not you could go down the route of an older cat as he/she should already be litter and house trained.
    We adopted Candy at the grand old age of 12 and she is as good as gold but any furry friend with a few years under their belt should be perfectly alright.
    I also thought along the same lines as your OH but now I would not be without her.:001_wub:
    Good luck and keep us posted.:thumbup1:

#4 Mr Gizmo, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Tell him that he will live longer.
    Experts say having a pet like a cat brings the blood pressure down and eases stress.
    I know this to be true. when i get home from a stressful day on the motorways our little fur babies take all the stress away.

Also Chinablue is right!! A home without a cat is souless.
    Also tell him two cats are better than one as they tend to play together!!

If all fails change your partner!! ( only Joking!!):D

6. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

I agree with all of the above, especially the stress relief, after a day at work my furry babies help me to calm down. :)

Other than that you could try hitting him around the head until he says yes...it sometimes works. :D

7. poshmog

poshmog PetForums Member

My husband moans and groans at the cat fur ,the occasional scratches,but he would'nt be without them now ,and we've got 11 ,so the benefits totally outweigh everything else.
    My daughters had a trick that worked,we'd rescue the kitten ,bring it in the house ,say we were only looking after it until we found out where it came from,and they never left !!!:D

8. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

China what a lovely quote!!

'It's all very well having a lovely spotless pristine house but without a furry one it is souless and not really a home'

Completely agree with it!

I have one cat at the moment soon to get another one and I don't find any issues at all. She is an indoor only cat but does not scratch my furniture as she has her own activity centre to keep her occupied.

She uses her litter tray well as most cats do and it takes a couple of minutes each day to keep it smelling fresh.

I think what a previous poster has said about an older cat is great.

Older cat tend to be more relaxed and calm hence not wanting to run around crazy so your partner may feel this would be the best option.

If all else fails bring a kitten home and tell him you couldn't bear to leave it after rescuiing the poor things from .... burning building / sinking ship / an escaped lion ..... take your pick!

Good luck.

9. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

My husband hated cats and refused to let me get one.

So, I gave up asking and just went and got one anyway :lol: A 3yr old girl.

He now loves cats as much as me (almost..)

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have 2 cats and my furniture is fine. We rent our house so it was important we made sure the cats prefered their tree than the couches. If they did stretch up to use the couch I hissed at them

I made my own cat tree as they are quite expensive. Its 4' tall, I used a birch tree we found and cut up. I screwed the bed from the top of their kitten tree on to and got some rope from a broken cat tree and my pair just love it :)

Cat's are quite easy to housetrain. We spray them if they scratch somewhere inapropriate or go on the worktops. But they haven't done since they were alowed outisde.

x

11. Emma_Williams

Emma_Williams PetForums Junior

My OH didn't want a kitten either and it took months to convince him. He finally got sick of me going on sites and talking about it all the time that he gave in but it has to be mine because he wants nothing to do with it. Now Remus is here he loves him and comes in from work and plays with him straight away. I was lucky though because Remus is so well behaved and hasn't done anything naughty well except trying to steal our food. I found a way around this by giving him mushy food when we eat so hes too interested in that to go for ours.

Good luck in convincing your OH.

Oh another thing I did was show him pics and videos of different breeds. Turns out he thinks Bengals and British Short Hairs are cool. He has actually said that he wants a BSH next! Supposedly they look manly! LOL

12. xkittenx

xkittenx PetForums Junior

well...what more can i say than has already been said!

It is all fine and well having a pristine home but how could that compare to those little faces that greet you when you come home!

If all of the above fail, then i would just stick him under the patio...ha ha ha...that way you could have as many pusses as you wanted!

If he loved you enough he would put your wishes first and let you have your own little puddy cat...I agree that an older cat may be a good idea to begin with...just to show him that not all cats will wreck the joint!

Hey before you know it - your new puss will be sleeping on his pillow!

So get down to your local CPL and drag him along for the ride!

13. PuppyNannie

PuppyNannie PetForums Newbie

Many thanks to all,who tried to help me but i got caught writing this post and he wasnt happy with me i found it funny ,He also pointed out this,we go away alot about 3-4 times ayear to other countrie,s and have many aweekend away what would we do with our cat if we had one.My daughter couldnt have it she works long hour,s and i couldnt drop it off at her house and disrupt her cats.So thats another point against have a puddycat isnt it.Once again thankyou all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice