Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can anyone help? Bichon Frise problems!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by vicbarker, Jul 11, 2009.

1. vicbarker

vicbarker PetForums Newbie

Hi All

I'm new to the forum, but hoping that someone out there may have some advice or help!

We have a 4 yr old male bichon frise who is a persistent barker, nothing can go past the window without all hell being let loose... he's also now started growling at my husband, normally if he's anywhere me (so thinking that he's trying to protect me, though it's causing problems between us).

for history, Elliott was my dog and was about 2 when my now husband moved in. It was always me and the bichon, and now obviously there's my husband too. We moved about 9 months ago, and tried (not very hard I admit) to stop him on the furniture etc but always give in.

The constant barking is driving us both mad, and anything we do doesn't seem to make a difference.

He's a lovely dog, we just could do with some advice...

Many thanks in anticipation

Vicky
    x

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

We have a male Bichon who is five years old and he's a fantastic dog and I don't really have a problem with him barking. If he does bark I tell him to be quiet and he does. He's very attached to me as I'm at home with him all the time but he's fine with everyone else too.

Don't know what to suggest to you really. Have you thought of getting some blinds then he can't see out of the window.:001_unsure:

Is he neutered? If he isn't it might calm him down a bit to get him neutered but it doesn't always work. Our dog was neutered when he was young.

I think he's being a bit dominant and you will have to enforce the rules a bit with him and stop him going on the furniture and maybe if he growls put him in another room until he calms down. Get a baby gate and then maybe just pop him in the kitchen for some time-out when he's growling and barking a lot.

Have you tried one of those clickers and then rewarding him when he stops the barking?

What is he like when out on walks with you? Does he bark a lot then?

3. catcuddles

catcuddles PetForums Newbie

Hi Vicky,

I have a Jack Russell. She used to bark excessively when someone walked passed the window etc. A trainer told me that you have to use distractions to stop this from happening. It takes time, but it does work eventually.

The trainer says that when a person walks by, distract the dog by playing. But I found that I only know when a person is walking by, by the dog barking, and then if I play with the dog, then it looks like i'm rewarding the dog for barking.

The way that I did it was; When my dog started barking, I went up to the window with her and got close and said a quick 'Ah' with my finger raised. (not touching the dog, or too close). This either stifles the bark to a mumble bark or interupts the bark. When she continued to bark I would contnue to say 'Ah' with my finger raised, and she would look at me and stifle the bark. Once the person had passed, I would play with her with a toy to reward her.

Over time, when a person passes she would bark excessively again, but when I joined her and raised my finger she would stifle the bark to just a mumble bark, and yet again I would reward her with a play.

Now when she barks excessively I can use the 'Ah' action from anywhere in the house and she will stop. It is very time consuming, but you need to do it each time for it to work.

I must admit it is different with each dog, but this worked for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice