UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have Chomp who is 15 weeks old..I think he has worms he does not rub his bum along the carpet or nothing but no matter what i feed him he,, always scrounges..I can feed him half a tin in the day making it two meals and as soon as he has had it he searches for food going through our bin bags and also watching us while we eat..Can anyone suggest any more fullfilling food or what i should do?? I have tried all the worming stuff over the counter but then my vet told me none of it works and not to use it Thanks susan :blink:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Did the vet give you something for the worms? Most over the counter stuff is rubbish and not worth the money so he's not wrong there.

Half a tin in 2 meals doesn't sound like a lot of food to me, what breed is the puppy? What food are you feeding at the moment?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a better understanding of the situation :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
What breed is your pup? At 15 weeks they have small stomachs, but need a lot of food for their size, so have to have 3 meals a day, in fact if your pup is as bad as you say I'd go back to 4 for a while. Your poor pup is probably spending most of the day feeling really hungry. :( If you don't give him more frequent meals the scavenging could become a habit that lasts him the rest of his life.

Unless he's a small breed, and depending on what brand you are feeding one can a day doesn't sound enough to me - cans are mostly water.

ETA just re-read your post - you are giving him half a can a day? This is definitely not enough, and needs to be at least twice that. If not 3 times.

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
Hi i have Chomp who is 15 weeks old..I think he has worms he does not rub his bum along the carpet or nothing but no matter what i feed him he,, always scrounges..I can feed him half a tin in the day making it two meals and as soon as he has had it he searches for food going through our bin bags and also watching us while we eat..Can anyone suggest any more fullfilling food or what i should do?? I have tried all the worming stuff over the counter but then my vet told me none of it works and not to use it Thanks susan :blink:
A 15 week old dog should be on either 3 or 4 meals per day.

The quantity it should be having will be on the guidelines on the tin.

If you have been to the vet I am assuming he has recommended a type of wormer?

Why have not not used it?

It really rather frightens me that you state " I have tried all the worming stuff over the counter" at only 15 weeks old. Have you any idea what worming was done prior to purchase and what schedule it should be on now?

What did the breeder recommend as food, schedule etc?

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
What breed is he? At 15 weeks he should be on at least 3 probably still 4 meals a day. Depending on what breed he is, you may not be feeding him enough either in quality of food or quantity or regularly enough and he is probably going to long between meals aswell.

It also depends to on how well the breeder wormed him and what with. Pups should start being wormed about 2 weeks of age, although some breeders seem to live it a little longer until weaning, but he should have been wormed every 2/3 weeks until 12 weeks old, then monthly up to 6 months and then once he reaches 6 months every 3/4 months like an adult dog.

Most dogs if allowed will sit and try and scrounge when the owners are eating,
Some pups will have bins out for the sheer fun of it if they have access, it all depends though on what feeding regime you have him and what your feeding him in the first place though and what breed.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Overall most over the counter stuff is no good and some of it can even be dangerous. Ask your vet for some worming tablets (you won't need an appointment - the receptionist should be able to help you)

A young pup should be on 3-4 small meals evenly distributed throughout the day. And they usually benefit from a snack before bedtime too - it helps them settle.

If you go to the nutrition section of this site there are the wet and dry food indexes than you can use to choose a good food. And the packet should advise you how much to feed based on the weight the pup should be as an adult. But again, if you're unsure contact your vet, your breeder, or even get one of those nutritional appointments at [email protected]

Some dogs are scrounges, but from what you've written it sounds as if you're not feeding your growing puppy enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi thanks for all your messages wow i didn't expect so many people to reply..Firstly my dog is a cross breed of a blue staff and a bullmastif or so im told although he looks to small to have bullmastif in him. Secondly my dog is on pedigree tins puppy food sorry for the typing error he has a full tin of food a day..He has two meals a day as if we put it down during the day he will not touch it..He will not touch water either only our milk....i have tried to water down the milk and it took a few days but now he has started drinking it so i have started to put less milk in and more water..The vet i saw recommended Bob martins so we brought some and tried it but he is still the same,,,I will now start feeding him three to four times daily small portions he ate two whole tins in one sitting earlier because he just kept begging and eating it really fast like he has never been fed in his life..I have had this pup since he was about two weeks old as the breeder had two many to handle. I hope this infomation helps and i look forward to hear your replys thanks again sue :) :blink:

·
Registered
183 Posts
The vet should have gave you stuff, the vets stuff is much bettr than shop bought. You should take him back :). 2 weeks old is waaaay too early to be taken from mum. The person you got the pup from shoud never be allowed to breed dogs if they are handing them out at 2 weeks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well to be honest i had three of these puppies at two weeks old....I hand reared all of them myself..And with two children 16 months and five months and a cat and three bearded dragons..it was hard especially as my partner is out of the house 8 till 6 at work..So im glad to say the other 2 found good homes...Yes you are correct the vet should of given us something but said their was a good pets at home not far and even directed us their we have complained..to the vets and are due to go back next week...I for one cant wait as i really want to start walking my dog now and cant till he has finished his injections...I am still looking into the food but i think im gonna put him on bakers dry complete puppy food any idea's?? Thanks susan x

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well to be honest i had three of these puppies at two weeks old....I hand reared all of them myself..And with two children 16 months and five months and a cat and three bearded dragons..it was hard especially as my partner is out of the house 8 till 6 at work..So im glad to say the other 2 found good homes...Yes you are correct the vet should of given us something but said their was a good pets at home not far and even directed us their we have complained..to the vets and are due to go back next week...I for one cant wait as i really want to start walking my dog now and cant till he has finished his injections...I am still looking into the food but i think im gonna put him on bakers dry complete puppy food any idea's?? Thanks susan x
i would personally change the tinned food aswell pedigree is one of the worst foods u can feed all it is is water basically. also try and feed dry kibble soaked in either water or a bit of milk thats what i am doing with my pup no tins in my house at all

·
Registered
183 Posts
Bakers is really bad for dogs. Iv heard its the equivalent of us eating junk food plus some of the ingredients are banned in some countries. Google good dog foods. They will be more expensive but better for the pup :) i also give my dog chicken in between and some naturediet wet doog food (which is high in actual meat and not meat substitute) as a treat now and then so he gets a variety. Most veg is good for dogs too. When i have veg i put some through his food. Im not an expert, just my experience. Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Forget bakers, it is pure cr*p. Fish4dogs is one example of a good quality dry good. There are plenty of others you could try. Look at the dry food index sticky on here for more choices. I'd post a link but I'm on my phone.

I think Bob Martins can be bought off the shelf? A decent wormer from the vet will be best. Strange that your vet recommends Bob Martins, you'd think he would want to sell you their own wormer.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
A tin of food a day sounds really low to me, for a cross of those breeds... I would steer clear of both Pedigree and Bakers. I have a Border Collie who is seven months now, it would have worked out far more than a tin of dog food that he was getting at that age, and I would expect that cross to weigh quite a bit more than a BC.

How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Please avoid any Bob Martin stuff, it can make dogs and cats very sick.

I've read on a lot of forums that the products can cause seizures and even lead to the animal being put to sleep. :(

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
You can mix Bakers dry with the tinned but dont feed him only dry! You need to get proper worming from the vet - and I would change vets as Im astounded that the vet recommended Bob Martin!

Please never use over-the-counter flea/worming products as not only do they not work, but they can cause serious side effects.

Your puppy needs 3/4 meals per day until he is about 6 months old, then he will let you know himself when its time to change to two meals.

·
Registered
20,329 Posts
You can mix Bakers dry with the tinned but dont feed him only dry! You need to get proper worming from the vet - and I would change vets as Im astounded that the vet recommended Bob Martin!

Please never use over-the-counter flea/worming products as not only do they not work, but they can cause serious side effects.

Your puppy needs 3/4 meals per day until he is about 6 months old, then he will let you know himself when its time to change to two meals.
erm, why would you not feed just a dry food. And why would you want to mix a rubbish dry food with a rubbish wet food. Far more sensible to get what could be a big dog onto a good quality sensibly priced dry food which can then be left down if he does not finish it up straight away. I certainly would not be feeding a dog 4 meals a day till 6 months. Most pups need 4 meals up to about 12 weeks then can cut down to 3 meals and then to two then at 6 months can go onto whatever their adult regime is going to be. The pup will often tell you and start refusing one of the meals so I tend to cut one down to a snack before I cut it right out.

Not sure I believe a vet would send you off for Bob Martins. Either you misheard or he is off his head so I would change vets and report him for bad practice.

By the way, being hungry is not a sign of worms, neither is rubbing their bum on the floor. If you had the puppy from 2 weeks old and did not worm him properly he is bound to be full of worms though. For heavens sake take him to the vet for his vaccinations and ask the vet for a good worming regime for a puppy who has basically never been wormed - as your over the counter remedies will have done nothing. And if your vet truly did say that then go to another practice or complain to the practice manager and see what their response is.
Dont leave it, worming is important.

·
Registered
423 Posts
In the vets I use to take my cats to they said that saying 'bob martin' in the practice was like saying a swear word.

You could ask for advice about food in your local [email protected], I did and they were great with directing me to the best quality food and showing me what I should be looking for in the ingredients list.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Must say I suspect this is another wind up. OP is yet another first time poster casually mentioning stuff guaranteed to get peeps worked up and with the most bizarre story. What Mum of two kids age only 16 and 5 months would ever consider taking on three 2 week old pups? The bearded dragon rings alarm bells too but can't remember who the last troll was that had them

·
Super Moderator
29,629 Posts
Must say I suspect this is another wind up. OP is yet another first time poster casually mentioning stuff guaranteed to get peeps worked up and with the most bizarre story. What Mum of two kids age only 16 and 5 months would ever consider taking on three 2 week old pups? The bearded dragon rings alarm bells too but can't remember who the last troll was that had them
I remember that person, they lived near me & were real enough, as were their animals:(

OP I can only echo what others have said about getting the pup a decent wormer sorted (not Bob Martin! My pup had Stronghold & is now on Panacur) & getting him onto a good quality food, my pup was on kibble at first & then moved onto raw.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.