Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can anyone explain how i can stop this chewing behaviour please?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ad_1980, Jun 23, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

So, Mika is chewing my mum's bedroom rug! I'm sitting down watching tv with him and he doesn't want to play fetch anymore. So instead he sits down beside me and starts to chew the carpet.

Now before anyone says anything i've tried the NO approach and ive tried giving him something else to chew on like a toy but he isn't interested!

Any ideas?

2. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

have you tried a rawhide stick? are you feeding them enough. Chewing usually stops when they are well fed (qualty not quantity) ;)

other than that - remover her from the situation, give her a no command and she goes back instantly, put her in her crate for 10 mins, keep repeating if your commands dont work ;)

3. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

as soon as he starts to chew make a loud distracting sound ( without the dog knowing it's coming from you ) then offer a chewing stick to chew

4. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Ahem.

Sorry.

Just overcome with mirth at the theory that they stop chewing when they're well fed :D

My dog is perfectly adequately fed, on decent food. She is well exercised. She gets loads of training and mental stimulation. She isn't left alone for long periods - actually she's never left "alone" at all, since she's got her mum here too - because I don't work. She has plenty of chew toys/rawhide sticks etc and always has had.

Yet she has been known to chew holes in the walls. Literally. At one point the dog room looked like the scene of a particularly lively shoot out.

The only things which stopped her were: smearing all chewable surfaces with Vick vaporub; always leaving her with hollow bones/Kongs filled with food and frozen, or with a smear of peanut butter inside; waiting interminably until her seemingly endless bouts of teething had finished.

She still has a nibble at the skirting boards if I've forgotten to Vick them for a while and her Kongs are empty :rolleyes:

5. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Quality food could definitively have a link with chewing as dogs who are missing something in their diet MAY try to find it somewhere else..or if they are feeling hungry possibly..

but yeah I would not put that as the main reason for chewing really...

It could be boredom, the fact that the rug has a particular interest for Mika or his way of showing that at the end of the day he does what he wants :rolleyes:
    If its boredom then maybe more mental/physical stimulation.
    If its just that rug that holds some special power for the pup then maybe simply removing the rug until hes a little more grown up and less interested in munching everything under his nose.
    Else as mentioned a bit more consistent discipline ; command and time off etc...

Good luck ;) chewing is not always easy to deal with but at least the dog is doing it in front of you so that may be easier to train out of ;)
    My boy did start chewing when he was little but consistent leadership plus stuffed Kong plus chew sticks means that even when bored he will not take it out on the wall when left alone...:D

#5 Oblada, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  6. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

i recommend a tin, like a coke tin. with stones or pennies in it. cover it up, and as above shake it really hard and when the dog isn't paying attention. that should give him a shock and he wont wanna do it again. if he does just repeat. i worship shakey tin! does my dog the treat. worked on my pup when he was chewing on hands and ankles. and walls. now he just hears me pick it up and he knows instantly that he in trouble! hope this helps.

sarah.

7. Summer1098

Summer1098 PetForums Senior

Don'y use the crate as a punishment. Your dog will think negatively about it and will not like to be crated.

As some members have mentiones above, give your dog plenty of toys and exercise. Also try and remove all "chewable" things and spray those things that can not be moved with a bitter-tasting spray.

8. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

We dont know the feeding routine of the owner and we neither know what they are being fed!
    Getting the right amounts of good foods does help stop hunger and the chew trait.
    It could also be boredom yes, and it could also be habbitual caused by a mix of the two. I didnt use any rattles to stop my boy chewing rugs, id give a no command and it this didnt work id call him out of the room, mess about for 10 mins and see if hed forgotten about it.
    Play with him as a distraction
    It could also be tiredness - sorry I dont know the age of your dog.
    Carrots, swede and apple are also good for them to have a chew on if they are feeling a bit mouthy and are a good way to get vitamins in them

:)

9. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I agree with your post and I wasn't actually laughing at your advice - it was, in fact, rather hysterical laughter triggered by the mention of chewing. I've still got a bit of a tic, to be honest, which comes and goes.

It stems from never knowing if you're going to come downstairs in the morning and find your dog has tried to tunnel through the walls in the night :rolleyes:

10. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

crating is not a punnishment, it is a punnishment if they are thrown in there. They dont know they are doing wrong as they have not been trained to know its wrong, it is therefore not a punnishment, it is simply an area where they can chew to their hearts content.

11. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ive only ever used a crate for my last springer pup, and only used it for a while i got one as our eldest is 8 and thought he would value a bit of time out. I never thought of it as a punishment for my pup, she would get over excited, and no ammount of calming from me worked, it was as if she couldnt calm down so i used to put her in her cage and in minutes she was asleep. I never though about it being cruel, but more cruel to have the older one never left alone in my situation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice