UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just took a look at mika's ears, and noticed his ears are rather...waxy should i say, or filled with dirt anyhow. any advise as to how to clean his ears please? i dont want to hurt him which is why i'm asking for help

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
most local pets stores will stock ear drops that help clean the ear by softning the wax some also contain stuff to keep ear mites at bay.. Never push anything into the ear cannal itself. But you can get ear wipes from most pet shops just gentle wipe the inner ear flaps just what you can see not into the ear cannal it self. I have used a few drops of castor oil from chemist just a 2/3 drops massaged in and then wipe clean with a clean damp cotton cloth it helps soften the wax inside the ear .

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
if your dogs ears are hairy dry to get them plucked aswell as the more hair the more wax will stick an infection could accur.x
Ear Hair plucking is the biggest load of bull***t I've ever heard of. The hair is in the ears for a reason... it keeps dirt and stuff out !

As for an infection being caused by not plucking, the only dog of mine who has ever had an ear infection is the one who had been getting his ears plucked before I had him. It took months to sort out as it was only when the hairs grew long enough that it cleared up :rolleyes:

Ear plucking is nothing more than cosmetic and is painful for the dog, no amount of powder stops the pain. I'm guessing you don't have hairs in your own ears, so I suggest you pluck just one tiny hair from your nostril and tell us how painless that is ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
You can get grooming "tweezers" (the have flat tips), not to pluck the hair from the skin, but to gently pull out all the dead hairs that have collected inside the ear-This is a common cause of infection.
I'd advise using ear drops first to loosen any wax so the clumps of dead hair slide out more easily, therefore avoiding any pain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.