Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can anyone advise please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sea, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Sea

Sea PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone.

I am a newbie and seeking advice....

I am wanting to clip my westie and as an old aged pensioner, I am finding the cost horendous. I am quite adapt at turning my hand to most things and thought I would give clipping a whirl. Can anyone suggest what reasonable price clippers to buy for a beginner. I do not want to spend a lot in case I am absolutely useless at it. If I can mange to do this (having watched a load of tutorials) I would then go on to buy a better pair.

I do not mind buying used ones, as long as the blades etc are okay. All suggestions welcome

Thank you

2. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Don't go buying them on my say as more knowledgeable people will be on here to advice you........BUT.........we just clipped our Yorkie with standard mens clippers, in fact i used to borrow them to shave my head LOL

Lurcherlad and Sea like this.
  3. Sea

Sea PetForums Newbie

Funny you should say this, I know lots of folk that use ordinary clippers. It is something I will consider, but if there is little price difference, then I might as well purchase proper ones...I also red to know what setting, I have read a FIVE is the best...I don't want to scalp the poor little chap, but righ now he is similar to a woollie sheep...lol x

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I have a set of Oster clippers that I've had for donkeys years and they're great. They weren't cheap but have gone the distance.

For a budget set, I would look at Wahl.

Sea likes this.
  5. Sea

Sea PetForums Newbie

Yes, I understand 'oster' are one of the best. Do you think to begin with a pair of Wahl for around £30-£40 would be okay....and do you know the setting I should use, I would like at least an inch left on his back, I can cut the skirt with thinning scissors I think..x

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I use Wahl ones and Timber is a little scruff but I like him that way. You realise you will have to put on before and after pics!

Sea likes this.
  7. Sea

Sea PetForums Newbie

Hahahah...my Teddington (Tedi) is always a scruff..he runs with the horses and often when the neighbours sheep break into our land, one has to really search to tell the difference or he would be rounded up with the sheep...I am happy to post pics...but cannot promise I will do a great job...wish there was something I could practice on...perhaps I best buy a summer coat, just to be on the safe side...I don't want to embarrass him at all...lol x

8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Steve as a one time Yorkie owner..you disappoint me...what do Yorkies have that no other dog have...their fur is more hair like than any other dog.(ok silky terrier, Australian terrier, biewer terrier included) So using human kind clippers would be great idea for a Yorkie. They would be less likely to burn out, and less likely to become blunt so would be a good investment! Might not be cost effective, for something like a Westie who needs clipping....Just my two pennies and yes Steve people are happy to buy for 'humans' and keep replacing.

9. Sea

Sea PetForums Newbie

Actually, that's a very good point...westies are more fluff like wool than hair...having to rethink here...

10. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Ahh! this was 30 years ago and my Mums dog. Never needed to clip a dog since :) I just had a look on Ebay, loads of dog clippers for £15 ish

Sea and lullabydream like this.
  11. lullabydream

Wahl should be great...as already mentioned! Wahl dog clippers that is!

They are built for purpose after all!

Sea likes this.
  12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I think a £30 Wahl set would be fine to start out with. Have a look on eBay, lots of people purchase clippers and end up taking the dog to the groomers anyway!

I use either the Oster 2 or 3 blade, but then I do not go for the traditional Westie look - just short all over, with slight furnishings on the head and tail. He's a country dog - a skirt sounds like hell.

[​IMG]

lullabydream likes this.
  13. Sea

Sea PetForums Newbie

Thank you...I will take a look, but am mindful that if they are really cheap, there maybe a problem with them...but I will most certainly look...thank you x

14. lullabydream

Sixstar, Alfie looks brilliant! Lovely picture thanks for sharing!

SixStar likes this.
  15. Sea

Sea PetForums Newbie

16. sesmo

sesmo PetForums Senior

I bought a set of Wahl clippers err.... about 20 something years ago. Used to use them on my old dog- big hairy crossbreed, he died in 2002. Got them out again a couple of weekends ago as I'd like to have a go at clipping Obie myself. They still work. not tested them on the dog yet, tested them on OH's hairy legs. :)

Sea likes this.
  17. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Yes @Sea I always clip him. He's blind and a vile little beastie really, I wouldn't subject him to a groomer (nor a groomer to him!)

ladyisla and lullabydream like this.
  18. Sea

Sea PetForums Newbie

My westie often looks like this, even when I pay £50 at the parlour. I have tried several, but none of them seem to be able to do tradional westie clips. I don't mind the look as he runs round the stables and this cut is easier to bath and dry quicker..did you clip him here..good job

19. Sea

Sea PetForums Newbie

Hahahahahah how do you add an icon roaring with laughter x

SixStar likes this.
  20. lullabydream

Alfie does look brilliant...and still enjoy life that's the main thing, which is brilliant to have captured...i have pictures of Gem who I lost at 17...and she still was full of zest at his age...so lets hope Alfie still has his passion for life for a few years more!

Sea likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice